Saturday, March 20, 2010

Vegan Chickpea, Sausage, & Kale Pasta


Whew, after an EARLY day at work Thursday (5:40am!) and a long week, this pasta was a welcome comfort and perfect for my first outside supper of the season. The backyard is still a tangle of dried leaves, brown perennial stems, raspy tall grasses, and emerging Spring Beauty, but I can tolerate the chaos in exchange for just enough sunlight and warmth for dinner outside.

I spotted this recipe on bitchin' camero. The simplicity of preparation and bold ingredients appealed to me, so I veganized it using Tofurky Italian sausage and eliminating the parmesan. Unfortunately, I only had regular penne in the pantry rather than whole wheat. I do recommend the drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to finish. So good. Almost good enough that I didn't envy MD for his business dinner at Niche. Almost.

13 comments:

  1. This looks great! I actually like tofurky better than field roast....dont tell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Sometimes a good 'ole pasta dish does wonders for the soul. At least that's what I think.
    And 5:40 is way too early to be at work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eating outside is the best! (Brown twigs or not!) This looks really yummy and would be welcome any day of the week in this house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is one early work day fo 'sho, Lisa! pasta is my comfort food and i'm going to have to try a dish similar to yours. the combination of chickpeas, kale, 'n sausage sounds most excellent - and it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like another winner - tofurky sausages are so good, but they're hard to find around here. Outside eating sounds really attractive right now - we're not quite there yet here :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Comfort food indeedy! Any dish that is topped with a drizzle of olive oil is a winner. I am not a fan of whole wheat pasta, or at least the brands that I have tried haven't really pleased my picky taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a long week too, but at least I didn't have to be at work so early. :-) Awesome looking pasta for kicking back outside!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy!
    Debra @ Vegan Family Style
    ps I am giving away a copy of Food Inc- you can enter until mid. 3/31

    ReplyDelete
  10. Better than any business dinner! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks amazing! Great combination of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HayMarket8 - I like Tofurkey Italian sausage better too! This pic is making me crave pasta!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails