Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Red Curry Chickpeas and Broccoli with Coconut Milk, Puppy Mill Act, and Scooter!

A couple of topics before we get to the recipe! If you live in Missouri, have you had the opportunity to sign the petition to get the Puppy Mill Cruelty Prevention Act on the ballot? Unfortunately, Missouri is known for puppy mills and meth labs, and the Missouri House just endorsed a bill to allow horse slaughter for human consumption. Let's hope the Senate has more sense. But back to the puppy mill issue. If you have not signed the petition to get the Puppy Mill Cruelty Prevention Act on the ballot, please look here for an event where you can sign. You might also be able to telephone the HSMO locations and sign a petition there if you prefer, please check. This act simply requires large-scale dog breeders to provide basic care. I have personally seen the victims of puppy mills and these dogs need our help.

On a lighter note, I attended an Indian Street Food cooking class this week for St. Louis food bloggers! What an informative and fun event, taught by Nupur of One Hot Stove. She is an excellent instructor - enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and down to earth. Nupur is vegetarian, and this event's menu was almost entirely vegan! And she so considerately provided vegan options for the couple of items that were not. The food was delicious. I took the night off from blogging but check out Kelly's report on Vegan Thyme. It was great to meet Kelly in person finally!

Let's move on to today's recipe. Y'all know I like to keep it short and sweet so here we go. This stove top stew is hearty, creamy, and has a hint of sweetness. I basically followed this recipe with the following changes. I used chickpeas for the beans and lemon rather than lime juice, just because that's what I had on hand. I used a little olive oil rather than cooking spray to saute. I also chopped a head of broccoli and added it to the pot for the last 15 minutes of cooking, covering with a lid. We ate the stew atop red jasmine rice all mixed together with some chipotle roasted sweet potatoes. Tasty!

I'll leave you with a video of my buddy Scooter, available for adoption at the HSMO on Macklind. He is SO freaking adorable. He tends to not bark much in the shelter and likes to cuddle. He walks very nicely on a leash and frequently gives you a sit on his own because he knows the people love for him to sit and be a good boy. He is very handsome and has the sweetest brown eyes! He is a little happy-go-lucky fella who's ready for his forever home. Check him out below.

13 comments:

  1. Can you hear me saying "awwwww....."

    Scooter's cuteness is too much for me. He has the most unique markings- love that eyepatch! I really hope you hope a forever home, Scooter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Scooter! Oh, and I'd love a bowl of those chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa! It was so wonderful to meet you! This dish looks delish! On the puppy mill note--thank you for bringing that up. The horse slaughter bill is an abomination for our state--it makes me sick and sad. It cannot pass. Folks like us see first hand how cruelty runs when dog "breeders" are left to their own devices. It is an ugly, ugly thing. Okay, that little guy needs adopting--please let us know when he makes it into a home! (Notice I said when and not if!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Puppy mills and meth labs! No good. When I think of Missouri, I think of "alcohol on Sundays"! When I was younger, we'd drive to the boothill (about 30 minutes from my hometown in Arkansas) to buy booze on Sundays, as Arkansas (and Tennessee) doesn't sell on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scooter is so cute. And the food looks great. We have two rescued Pitbulls, Zeke and Maggie. They are the best and love our two little guys so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand how puppy mills can exist in this day and age. Thank DOG for people like you who speak out for them.

    Aww, Scooter! I love him! My sewing skills are still pretty limited, but hopefully they will improve with practice and I will send you some pitbull craftiness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait, what? horse meat? Hope that goes down and the puppy mill petition makes it. The stew looks awesome! and Scooter is too cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scooter is so freaking cute I hope he finds a home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Horse meat? Really?! Do you have a recipe or can you tell me how to make the Chipotle Roasted Sweet Potatoes? They sound awesome!
    http://tamiespears.vox.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to sign ASAP. The animals definitely need our help. Scooter is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tamie, I don't use a very precise recipe. I dice sweet potatoes and spread them on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and some chipotle chile powder. Bake at 425 for about 30 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! That looks so beautiful, so fresh and tasty. I like hearing how you tweaked the recipe, great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a cute doggie..reminds me of our dog, Whitey...yeah, whitey (i know a not so creative name for a white dog)...my parents named him

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails