Thursday, March 4, 2010

Laura Beck's Vegan Smoked Apple Sage Sausage and Chard Spaghetti, plus sampling Primal Strips


Laura Beck, of Vegansaurus and Rocket Dog Rescue, recently posted an adorably sassy column on Huffington Post's Eating In series. Not only was I happy to see another pro-vegan column on HuffPost, but she included a pasta recipe to boot! Bo-nus. This pasta is easy to make but does take a little coordination to get all your separate pots ready when needed. You have sauteed Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage going in one skillet (which I can't seem to stop eating), steaming chard in another pot, and your pasta in another. This dish is so flavorful and the short ingredient list makes it quick to prepare on a weeknight. I can seriously imagine eating it every week.


I also recently had the chance to try Primal Strips vegan jerky after the company kindly sent me a bunch of flavors! I thought all the flavors were pretty tasty, especially the smokier ones like Texas BBQ and Hickory Smoked. The Mesquite Lime is mildly tangy. I'm always looking for good "road food" that will hold me over during a road trip or business travel, and these would be perfect! No refrigeration needed, they make a great snack as is. When you're on the road and your options are limited, this would be a great source of protein and flavor to add to a veganized Subway sandwich, side salad, or baked potato. I thought this was a great grab and go snack for any time you need something extra. Just have a napkin on hand, the strips are a little moist from the tasty flavoring.

14 comments:

  1. I made that dish recently too, but I used kale instead of chard and I stir-fried it with the sausage instead of steaming it. I also sliced the sausage up into disc shapes instead of crumbling it. So totally delicious. I can't wait to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you liked it! This totally makes my night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was totally addicted to the mesquite lime primal strips for sooo long. I love those. Great for when I go backpacking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage! What a great combo with the chard.

    I'm sampleing the Primal Strips right now! They are so far very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We happened to have my favorite pasta with chard (and walnuts and ginger) the other evening--this looks similarly delish. I used to LOVE Primal Strips--could eat 'em every day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that pasta looks incredibly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Field Roast sausage is soooo amazing, now I can't wait to try that recipe. I've never had Primal Strips but they do sound good for roadtrips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so jealous that you got to eat that pasta! It looks delicious. I really like primal strips, too, but I don't like the way they are packaged. The last time I bought one it had two wrappers (for no good reason as far as I could tell ...). They are really tasty and convenient, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I still haven't tried the Field Roast apple sage sausage because I'm cheap and I think, I could just make my own steamed sausages. But then again, convenience is nice.

    Primal Strips sent me a package too! I'm still working my way through them. I'm a huge fan of the Hot 'n' Spicy Shitake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No place around here carries those Field Roast sausages, but they look delicious. That pasta dish looks great!

    Thanks for the link to the HuffPost article - I just got a package of Primal Strips too. Haven't even tried one yet, but I'm looking forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the sausage 'n chard pasta looks rock'n, Lisa - i'm fo 'sho gonna have to check out the recipe! i didn't even know about The Huffington Post - i'm gonna have to check the site out, fo 'sho. dan looooooves the primal strips - he digs the hot 'n spicy one the most. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Field Roast sausages rock! I can't think of a better addiction! Well, chocolate. And danish pastries. But that's it! :D

    Enjoy your tasty Primal Strips!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey,
    great blog, the food looks awesome!

    ~Isa

    ReplyDelete
  14. that looks great! Field roast makes a good fakin' sausage! I'm going to try and make my own with less sodium though! love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails