Thursday, March 11, 2010

Curried Lentils with Carrots and Peas

This week I pulled out Vegan Planet, one of my first vegan cookbooks, and made this delicious curried lentil dish to serve with jasmine rice. Vegan Planet is a great starter cookbook for the new vegan, because with so many recipes you are sure to find many you like. Plenty of the recipes use familiar ingredients, making the transition to vegan cooking easier, and Robertson gives lots of advice for the beginner vegan. I remember one of my earliest satisfying vegan pastas was from Vegan Planet, proving that yes, pasta can be delicious without the cheese! After being vegan for over two years, I still find fun and tasty recipes in Vegan Planet. This particular dish is simple to prepare, requiring little chopping, but the numerous spices yield a complex flavor. It's a forgiving recipe that held up even with my shortcuts and omissions. You can take a peek at Vegan Planet on Google Books.

15 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious. I don' believe I've looked through that cook book before. I'll go see if the library has a copy ASAP! Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hardly ever cook with curry but that is very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors are lovely, and so spring-like! That's one recipe in Robertson's book I haven't tried (well, along with about 985 others), so must give it a go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've loved every soup and chili recipe I've tried from that book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always forget I have that book! I need to dust it off the shelf. BTW, those are some huge ass peas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM YUM! What a hearty and tasty looking meal. Might have to make a curry for dinner now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't own Vegan Planet but this is a good reminder not to ignore older cook books. Lately, I've been on the road and improvising all of my meals. It makes me wonder if going back to cookbook cooking will be a welcome change or suddenly a pain...who knows. Anyway, the curried lentils look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to check out Vegan Planet - that curry looks really good and so bright! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vegan Planet is one of my favorite cookbooks! Everything I've made from there has been delicious. I haven't tried that recipe yet, but after seeing how yummy it looks I am going to bookmark it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy recipe! VP was one of my first "vegan" cookbooks, too. I don't use it as much as I'd like because I really like pictures!!! So then her book: 1000 Vegan Recipes came out, and guess what? No pictures. I hate to be such a simpleton, but I am motivated by color. So those two books are severely under-used in my house, but your post inspires me to peruse again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So colorful! There are lots of books on my wish list, and Vegan Planet is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that looks amazing, thanks for the recipe book tip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have that book too and it's definitely a keeper.

    lol, peas and carrots were my least favorite veggies as a child...but now I'd dig in heartily!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so good. By the way, I love the doggie adoption section. We have two rescued Pitbulls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so delicious. NOw i am craving for food.:(

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails