Saturday, February 20, 2010

Vegan Lentil and Sausage Soup

I think of soups in two categories, those with coconut milk and those without. Soup recipes without coconut milk have to try a little harder with me to make the cut, and this one is my new favorite. The aroma of this soup makes you want to plant your face in the bowl because it smells so good. Red wine and sage are the key ingredients that give it an irresistible fragrance. Make sure to run an errand after cooking this soup, or at least go out for a walk, so you can come home and notice how good your house smells all over again.

This is a veganized version of a Whole Foods recipe. I made the following substitutes and additions - Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage Sausage, vegetable broth, a 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes with juice rather than fresh tomato, about 1 teaspoon of dried thyme rather than fresh, about 1 teaspoon of dried sage, and of course no Parmesan.

11 comments:

  1. That soup looks and sounds wonderful! I love lingering aromas of food stuff in my home, too-great suggestion on leaving and coming back!
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most beautiful photo of a bowl of soup ever! Such detail! I love those Field Roast sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks soooo good! I love eating soups and stews this time of year. Tonight, I'm making tomato-red pepper soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your idea about making the house smell so good! I can almost smell the red wine and sage right now. The soup looks delicious, another winner for winter evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the soup smells as good as it looks, I'll be going in and out of the door just to smell it again and again. :-) I love those field roast sausages, great idea to use them in a soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to categorize soups--ha! I'm more likely a coconut milk-based fan, too, but this soup looks fantastic. I can almost smell that wine and sage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine how good this soup smelled! It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh I love that Apple Sage Sausgage. What a beautiful lentil soup.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails