Sunday, January 10, 2010

Vegan Beef Stew, Sriracha's Spicy Sister, Sambal Oelek, and Pi


This week we are eating VegCooking's Vegan Beef Stew. I made a few minor changes, using faux beef broth, mushrooms rather than green beans, and decreased the cooking time. The flavor is rich and hearty. If you prefer not to use seitan, beans would substitute nicely.

Friends recently gave us a bottle of Sambal Oelek chili sauce from Huy Fong of Sriracha fame. They warned us it is addictive and we've been putting it on practically everything. John even suggested a new snack. Smear a tortilla with some peanut butter and sambal oelek, heat for a few seconds in the microwave, roll up, and eat.

Finally, I gotta give more vegan love to Pi Pizzeria, which just keeps getting better with every visit. (Even the Obamas can't resist!) We had dinner at the bar of the new CWE location, starting with cocktails. Then on to a house salad sprinkled with Daiya shredded cheese, followed by a thin crust pizza with Daiya, Match sausage, kalamata olives, roasted garlic, and sun dried tomatoes. I don't know whether we can top this combination of ingredients, but I'm up for the research!

13 comments:

  1. Wow, that pizza combination sounds divine! And your soup looks deeeelicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the vegan beef stew looks awesome, Lisa - i love your addition of mushrooms and that's good to know it would be just as tasty with beans (i have some soy curls too and could try those. yum!). thanks!

    the sambal oelek chili sauce = the best! dan puts it on so many yummies - i'm gonna have to tell him about the tortilla + pb + chili sauce combination. mmmmmmmm!

    also - hooray for Pi serving deliciousnesses with daiya cheeze and match sausage (and tasty, tasty cocktails!). nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This stew looks awesome - thanks for the tip on the sambal oelek. I've seen that, but haven't tried it - sounds really good! Love the dog pics from the previous post too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stew looks FANTASTIC, so hearty and rich, must make now! But that sambal oelek looks ridiculously great, I think I would be putting it on everything too.

    Awww...I want to go to a vegan pizza place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that beef stew looks amazing, i'll have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sriracha has a spicy sister? I had no idea. I'm going to have to track it down. Beautiful looking beef stew! I could go for a bowl right about now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sambal olek! And I'm gonna have to try it with peanut butter. That sounds heavenly. But really, anything with peanut butter sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally addicted both to sriracha and sambal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sambal? I've only heard of it, never tried it. Sounds great, bring on the heat!
    Your pizza dinner sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm totally fascinated by the pb and chili sauce combo. i have some of this sauce, so i'm trying it pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You aren't kidding about the addictiveness - I know firsthand! I like your snack idea.

    I haven't been to any of the new Pi locations, just the one in the loop. Can't wait to get over there for another pizza! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummo!
    Vegan Cookbook giveaway on my blog!
    Debra @ Vegan Family Style

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sticky toffee cake on the dessert menu at the CWE Pi is vegan. They will swap out soy yogurt sauce for the Greek yogurt version if you ask. It's incredible -- and not sorbet!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails