Monday, January 4, 2010

Slow Cooker Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew

Happy New Year everyone! We've been trying to stay warm with this creamy, chunky stew from The Kitchn. Load up your slow cooker with vegetables, spices, and broth, and let that baby cook for a few hours while you catch up on Vegansaurus (I can't stop playing that pit bull vs. roomba-driving kitty video) and the latest Underdog to Wonderdog episode (who doesn't want to be part of the Doggie Wonder Team?!). Top off the stew with a little coconut milk, a lot of baby spinach, and spoon over jasmine rice for a bowl of yum.

Hope your holidays have been relaxing and fun. Some of my fun has come from playing with pit bulls at the Humane Society of Missouri such as Emma and Hershey. Emma is a happy, happy puppy who does that cute butt-scoot run when she gets really excited about her walks. Then she'll stop and give you a quizzical look that is so smart.


Hershey is a gorgeous girl who started out shy but is getting to know us and feeling a little more comfortable in the shelter. She now greets us enthusiastically and seems more confident. Both can be adopted at the HSMO.


We recently returned from celebrating our anniversary in the Sunshine State with Scout and Ruby. They thought sunning by the water in December was pretty nice.

Now we're back in STL to ridiculously cold weather, but one of the best ways to combat post-holiday, post-vacation blues is to make more plans to look forward to. Thanks to tips from Lex about vegan eats in St. Louis, we have reservations at Niche to celebrate another special occasion in a few weeks. While the menu does not appear vegan-friendly, I hope the chef will accommodate us. Lex also pointed out that Rooster offers a vegan crepe. "Vegan" is actually on the menu! Has anyone tried it? I can't wait to check it out. Vegans on the internet are the best - thank you Lex!

Whew, that's a long post for this sporadic blogger. Time to get back to studying iPhoto. Please bear with me and my hinky photos. Learning something new prevents dementia, right? Or contributes to potty mouth. Hope y'all have a great week.

14 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I love these dishes. Excellent.

    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stew looks yummy, and your (and the adoptable) pups are the cutest. I wish I could get away to the Sunshine State right now. Memphis hasn't been this cold in as long as I can remember. I heard STL is gonna be in the zeros! And we're goin' down to 5 degrees Thursday night! I don't remember ever experiencing temps with one number....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. another reason I need to get a slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea for a tasty slow cooker meal. thanks, Lisa! i hope both Hershey and Emma get adopted super soon & to the most amazing 'n loving families! our dog julie is ap it mix, so naturally i love them the most! Scout and Ruby are just too adorable, and hooray for a sunshine state vacation - and happy anniversary, too! i look forward to reading about and seeing all the St. Louis vegan eatz you two will be enjoying in a little while. mmmmmm! happy new year & welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My slow cooker is like a best friend--this recipe looks delish! I'm glad you are back--was so excited to see your post! Those two punkin pies are adorable--please, someone go adopt them quickly! And can't wait to read about your dining out experience again--welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, Lisa! And happy anniversary! Oh, those pups are adorable!

    Veggies and chickpea Stew is one of my most favorite meals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious! More delish even than the picture in the main recipe on Kitchn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a delicious looking stew.I could use some sunshine and warm food right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. make sure to call niche ahea of time and let them know you are vegan and want a vegan dinner. we did and gerard made a killer vegan tasting menu for us. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. slow cooker anything always makes this chef happy. i love the indian spin... and those cauliflower florets look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Argh!! Google reader hasn't been updating your blog and a couple of other blogs. I saw that Jessy made and linked to your black beans hummus, and when I clicked on it I realized that I've missed a few. The same thing happened with two other blogs.

    Anyway, I want Emma and Hershey! And Scout and Ruby for that matter! :-P

    It's so cold today that the pipe that connects our shower to the main water pipe is frozen! Yikes! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks yummy. I'm a vegetarian and it can be hard to find meatless slow cooker recipes. I am posting my recipes on my blog http://healthyslowcooking.wordpress.com. You might fine some that interest you too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're welcome! I was just missing STL and figured I'd see what was happening on the vegan front and found this post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No one commented on Rooster - and their vegan crepe is good! A lot of the options have cheese involved, so I usually get the apple crepe with vegan shell. It's delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails