Sunday, October 25, 2009

Vegan Red Curry Chicken and Vegetables with Coral Red Jasmine Rice


After seeing how much fun Bianca (of Vegan Crunk) is having with the Whole Foods Recipes app, I got it too and found this quick red curry dish to adapt and veganize. The Whole Foods app allows you to search for recipes based on items you have on hand (I searched on chicken and coconut milk, planning to use chicken-style seitan, of course). You can also search according to course, category, and special diet (including vegan, vegetarian, and dairy free). You can save recipes to cook at a later date under Favorites. Each recipe includes separate tabs for the overview, ingredients, and method, and many have colorful photos. Plenty of iFun for those who love to try new recipes.

I increased the red curry paste for more heat, amongst other changes, and served this over Coral Red jasmine rice. This rice is a nice change of pace from white jasmine, with a slightly nuttier texture and pretty merlot color. Scroll down for my adaptation of the recipe.

I was happy to hear from Ecorazzi that Natalie Portman will be the guest on Top Chef this week! I don't know whether she'll ask the chefs to cook vegetarian or vegan, but I'll be tuned in either way.

And thanks to Sara Beth again, I found out there's another St. Louis restaurant where a vegan can order a pizza with vegan cheese - Bottleworks. It's listed on the online menu under pizza toppings. I can't wait to give it a try.

Finally, the Shelter Pet Project is up and running and looks like a fun site to explore. The goal is to dispel myths regarding shelter pets, encourage shelter adoptions, and facilitate matches between pets and people. The PSA below is priceless.




Vegan Red Curry Chicken and Vegetables

1 pound 2 ounce container chicken-style seitan, chopped
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
12 ounces chopped mushrooms
1 large carrot, thinly sliced into half moons
1 can coconut milk
2 Tablespoons vegan red curry paste
salt to taste
3/4 - 1 cup frozen cut green beans
handful cilantro, chopped
rice of choice, prepared according to package

Heat the oil over medium heat in a very large skillet. Saute seitan, onions, bell pepper, mushrooms, and carrot for about 10 minutes. Add coconut milk and red curry paste. Stir until curry paste is distributed throughout the stew. Add salt to taste and green beans. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add cilantro and serve over rice.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really useful app, the curry looks delicious! I really like the color of that coral red jasmine rice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That curry looks absolutely amazing. I love curry, isn't it such a cosy meal?

    Thanks for posting about the Shelter Pet Projects, this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your curry looks sooo good, and I like the addition of red rice!

    Thanks for keeping me updated about all things vegan in St. Louis. I went to Pi last Friday and really enjoyed my meal. Can't wait to try out Bottleworks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Whole Foods app sounds handy - I haven't had curry in way too long, and this looks so good!

    Thanks for the shelter project heads-up too. I know a couple people considering getting a dog who should see this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shelter project heads-up too. I know a couple people considering getting a dog who should see this.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails