Saturday, August 1, 2009

Spicy Portobellas and Pinenuts with Spaghetti

This savory pasta dish can be filed under "full-flavored comfort food, fast". For minimal effort, you get spicy portobellas with toasted pinenuts, garlic, and fresh basil over whole wheat spaghetti. A delicious finish to a long day when you want to get in and out of the kitchen quickly. My version is pretty spicy; cut down on the pepper flakes if you prefer.

And don't miss Top Chef Masters this week! The chefs must make a vegan, soy-free, and gluten-free meal for Zooey Deschanel. For real.

Spicy Portobellas and Pinenuts with Spaghetti
Serves 4

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 large portobellas (about 8 ounces), thinly sliced into bite-sized pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup pinenuts, toasted
freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti

Heat 1/4 cup olive oil over moderately low heat in a large skillet. Cook garlic and red pepper flakes for about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and salt and cook for about 5 minutes, or until mushrooms release their juices and begin to brown.

Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain.

To the mushrooms, add chopped basil, toasted pinenuts, and black pepper. Combine with the cooked spaghetti. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and add salt to taste.

Adapted from Food and Wine

14 comments:

  1. Really? on Top chef? Please tell me its not over! I missed the last week :| and may miss it this time around too!

    I love the idea of spice in pasta. As an Indian, I crave for spice in my food :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just started experimenting with portos, so thank you for sharing new ways to have fun with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mushrooms so much and don't get to eat them often enough because no one else in my family likes them. This pasta looks so delicious. I usually a few red pepper flakes to my marinara sauce so this sauce looks especially appealing.

    I love watching Top Chef Masters and can't wait for this week's episode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just bought some baby bellas this week, Lisa - you're a mind reader! dan has been eating mushrooms and LOVING them lately - i can't believe it as he used to abhor them. i think your pasta is gonna be made this week! thanks so much for the rock'n recipe - and we like it spicy too - bring it on! mmmmmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really good, and easy is a bonus - pasta, olive oil, and garlic are great on their own, and the portabellas make it special...I'd keep the red pepper flakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this sounds so good, I love mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks great! I usually just have tomato sauce with whole wheat spaghetti, it'll be nice to try it with something else. Thanks for the recipe!

    I haven't been watching Top Chef Masters, but I'm going to have to catch the vegan episode. I'm very curious about what they're going to make. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow this looks fantastic. My hubby is a vegetarian and I think that's exactly what I'm going to make him for dinner. Portobello have a nice meaty texture and pine nuts give a nice consistency to the dish. Genius! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mushrooms and pinenuts are definitely two of my favourite ingredients, especially when it comes to pasta! I am glad this batch didn't give you another pine mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks soooo AWESOME! and i'm definitely keeping all the red pepper flakes! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw that episode of Top Chef - it was awesome (except for the dessert, hehe).

    As usual, your meal looks and sounds great. I'm a huge mushroom fan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delish! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was really delicious! My partner and his classmate were pulling an all-nighter and fixed them this dish with a simple salad. It not only boost their energy but their morale too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails