Thursday, August 20, 2009

Caribbean Pumpkin Soup


Random notes and busy-ness from the past week or so and those to come:

Local Harvest Cafe now features a special vegan dish on the menu Tuesday nights, when Chef Molly is in the kitchen. Last Tuesday we enjoyed the World's Best enchiladas, stuffed with refried beans and vegetables and smothered in the most delicious smoky sauce. I kid you not. Looks like there might be a special event next Tuesday; I'm not sure about a vegan dish that night, but they seem to be tweeting about the Tuesday night menu here.

We are SO ready for the weekend, and will kick it off right by seeing Deano Waco /Meat Purveyors at a house concert Friday. After a long week of immersion in learning a new treatment modality and driving my co-workers batty by spouting geeky psych terms like "therapy-interfering behaviors" about 25 times a day, the weekend isn't here a moment too soon for any of us.

There's more fun next weekend with the Folk School Trivia Night Fundraiser. Do people love trivia night gatherings in your town as much as St. Louis seems to? Anyway, my honey is the musician in the family, and we'll be there to support the Folk School if not get any questions right.

Did y'all see Isa Chandra Moskowitz's series of blog posts on Powell's Books? Sometimes it's so hard to talk about veganism with non-vegans that I bite my tongue and let my actions speak for me. (All my friends are now saying, "you do???") Except for when I blurt out that meat is murder. So I loved the balance Isa struck in her post called There Is No Vegan's Dilemma. You can find additional posts here.

And now for today's vegan recipe. This creamy, rich soup is decadent and tropical, with the added bonus that it is so quick and easy to prepare. Enjoy and have a great weekend.

Caribbean Pumpkin Soup
Serves 4-6

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin
1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
1 cup Not Chik'n broth (or vegetable broth)
4 heaping tablespoons cilantro, chopped
juice of 1 small lime
salt, freshly ground black pepper, hot salt, and/or hot sauce to taste

In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions and bell pepper for about 6 minutes, until tender. Add garlic, cumin, and ground chipotle. Saute about 30 seconds. Add black beans, pintos, pumpkin, coconut milk, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir frequently. Add cilantro, lime juice, and desired seasonings.

Adapted from Epicurious

19 comments:

  1. Coconut milk is amazing. Who needs creamy dairy when anything can be achieved with rich creamy coconut?! Seriously.
    And you are also amazing for your STL tips. Looks like I will need to head over to Local Harvest on some Tuesday night in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's me again! Check out this Twitter from Local Harvest from last Tuesday:
    "LH Gets Raw: Vegan Plate 2nite w/ raw lasagna packed w/ summer veggies w/ a pear, beet & fennel raw salad. Raw peach pie for dessert."

    YUUUUM! I am so bummed I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup looks great! I've never had pumpkin in soup before, so I'll have to give it a try...

    Also, thanks for the link to Isa's post - I'm headed to check it out right now.

    Have a great time at the concert this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, the weekend can't come fast enough. Great looking soup, I don't think I've ever tried pumkin soup before. Sounds delicious and what a beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I'm sad that summer is almost gone, I'm glad to have an excuse to eat pumpkin again! I tend to shy away from pumpkin things in the spring and summer so I can go pumpkin-crazy in the fall and winter. This soup is going on the to-make list now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum yum yum! I love pumpkin soup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The soup looks delicious - I love pumpkin, and it sounds great in a Caribbean recipe. Thanks for the heads-up about Isa M.'s posting on Powells - I'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy ridiculousness! This looks fabulous. It's still too hot here (100 degrees plus) but once we get a cooler spell I'll be trying this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beans, coconut, and pumpkin in one soup is too delicious! I'll have to remember this for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That soup looks great, and so hearty. Perfect fall fare! (Oh, no, is it fall--?!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds good! I love pumpkin and chipotle. And I have this 19 lb pumpkin...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recipe and sharing the links for Isa's posts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to head over to Local Harvest and try the vegan special :)

    I'm so excited about cooking/baking with pumpkin cause it reminds me of fall -- my fav season!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, that soup sounds delicious! I love pumpkin, coconut, and chipotle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sexy flavour combo! I love your Caribbean recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just made this soup and it is SO yummy! I can see making this again in the future, especially for events that require vegan friendly dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy! I have been looking for different pumpkin soup recipes and this looks fabulous!! I am starting a new blog on how to lose weight and eat healthy vegan foods on a budget and this will be a great recipe for me to try and give credit to you on my blog! Thanks! http://poorgirlsvegandiet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails