Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Terrene's Happy Hour


One of my favorite ways to kick off the weekend after a long work week is winding down and catching up over cocktails and small plates at Terrene's bar. There's an urban yet comfy vibe, with a bartender who is warm and gregarious without being intrusive. And these aren't just any bar eats; more on the food in a minute. To top it off, cocktails and small plates are discounted in the bar weekdays, 5-7pm. What's not to love?

We typically order the veggie sausage flatbread, pictured above, which can be requested vegan-style by omitting the cheese. The "sausage" and sundried tomato topping is boldly flavored so you won't miss the cheese except as a substance to hold the delicious crumbs together. Not to worry, you and your honey can quibble over who gets the stray bits and pieces.

We also loved the Tofu on a Stick. Don't let the name deceive you, a favorite for vegans and non-vegans alike, this crispy breaded tofu dipped in Asian-style cashew sauce on a little bed of slaw was irresistable. And who doesn't like vegan food on a stick? Not available currently, the replacement is Chipotle Tofu Tacos.



These tacos had some big shoes to fill after Tofu on a Stick, and they rose to the occasion. Tiny tofu cubes seasoned with chipotle are nestled under pico de gallo and lettuce with a green salsa on the side. The corn tortillas are a little smoky from grilling, I suppose. Mmm!

Of course, if you want to be bad, and you know you do, the frites are the best in town. I'm talking a gigantoid plate of crispy, perfect frites. Just order double dippers of horseradish ketchup, and hold the mayo typically served on the side, until they start offering Vegenaise.

Terrene offers a tofu entree as well, which can be ordered in the bar or the dining area, if you are not interested in small plates (and entrees would not be part of the Happy Hour discount). There is a lovely patio where we've enjoyed many a dinner to impress out of town friends.

But I keep coming back for the bar vibe. I just love the cozy feeling of sharing dishes perched at a little bistro table or at the bar. Terrene staff generally know what "vegan" means and will accomodate your requests and provide helpful information. I typically have a pleasant dining experience that does not feel alienating and restrictive, in contrast to some other establishments in St. Louis.

If you also have a favorite way to kick off the weekend, I'd love to hear it! And have a great one, by the way. Um, I guess it's Tuesday. Is it too early to think about the weekend?

17 comments:

  1. Love it all - can't wait to try making the flatbread and thanks for stopping by the church gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sausage veggie flatbread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds great! Yeah for vegan friendly happy hour. I want tofu on a stick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm lisa - all looks so good. Guess who just changed their meal plan to tacos for tonight! Thanks! Glad you have such a cool little spot to wind down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tacos looks super-fresh! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh those tacos looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow those tacos look good!

    I wish we had more places that served vegan (or even vegetarian) food here. St. Louis seems way more veggie friendly than Springfield.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously adore Terrene! I've had the tacos and they are amazing! I want to try the flatbread too but we always end up getting the huge plate of fries instead. I didn't know they had 1/2 price appies during the week...hmm...I work right down the street!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Veggie sausage flatbread sounds and looks amazing!!! I wish we had a vegan-friendly tapas bar around here. There are a few with hummus-y small plates (which are good), but that's no tofu on a stick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love small bites... reminds me of tapas.
    that sausage flatbread sounds way yum... and tofu on a stick!!?? i'm fascinated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy eats, especially the flatbread. For the weekend I love starting out by taking a refreshing hike in the morning! I also love making my week special by going out to eat for lunch and trying new unique foods like you have at Terrene's!

    ReplyDelete
  12. we can pretend like it's almost the weekend....

    i love the tacos!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HOW did I not know about this place? I'll have to drag the fella and some friends there soon. I wish the tofu on the stick was currently offered because that sounds delicious, but so does everything else. Thinks for pointing me in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i want those tacos...NOW!!!! damn that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I work all weekend so generally I start with time off on Monday. I like to make some dessert item that will carry my sweet tooth through the week. Recently it has been vegan cheesecakes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That place sounds like it rocks! I would love to sit down for happy hour & order up some delicious vegan goodies like that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not sure if its still the case, but you have to request the tofu on the stick to be breaded with soymilk or its not vegan.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails