Monday, June 22, 2009

African Peanut Soup with Red Beans


Around the Show Me casa, we eat hot soup all year long. Even in the midst of an Excessive Heat Warning (temps in the upper 90's with heat indices over 110 degrees). So I guess we're pretty serious soup lovers.

This vegan bowl of goodness (adapted from Mark Bittman's West African Peanut Soup with Chicken) will be filed amongst our favorites. The rich peanut butter and sweet potatoes complement each other so well. And with kale too, this soup has nearly all of our preferred ingredients. Substitute red beans for chicken and this hearty soup will have you going Vegan Before 6 and After 6 too!

Don't forget the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale, including a St. Louis location at the Tower Grove Park Farmers' Market this Saturday before noon.

African Peanut Soup with Red Beans
Serves 6

3/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped and divided
2 Tablespoons peanut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste
6 cups vegetable stock
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 15 ounce cans red beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 pound kale, stems discarded and leaves sliced
1/4 cup peanut butter

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onion, garlic, and ginger for about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the peanuts, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for about 30 seconds. Add the vegetable stock, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and red beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add kale and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are done. Add peanut butter and stir until combined. Garnish each serving with a sprinkle of the remaining peanuts.

20 comments:

  1. we're soup lovers too and this one looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love peanut butter in soups, and the sweet potatoes sound perfect with the pb - I know what you mean, I can't refrain from hot food during the summer months either, and good soup is worth heating up the kitchen - can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo... yummy looking soup!

    And can I just say - I LOVE your new blog banner! It's really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i need to get on the soup all year long bandwagon, too! totally gotta try your african peanut soup - i loooove peanuts, and red beans are some of my favorites! it's beautiful, Lisa - hooray!

    so cool on the vegan bakesale coming up! i'm imagining all the deliciousness that will be found there right now. mmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I'm not usually a "soup when it is hot outside" kind of girl, but this might change my mind, it sounds absolutely wonderful. Yummy! And I love the addition of red beans, so often you only see 'em in red beans and rice or occasionally chili.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never really understood the soup-as-a-winter food thing. I get stew being all comforting and hearty in the winter, but soup (with its thinner broth and tons of veggies) seems more like a summer thing to me. This soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummers! i have a recipe for this but have never tried it out. looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this soup and this recipe is one of the best I've ever seen. I can't wait to try it, although it's 100 degrees here too, so I may have to wait awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This soup looks wonderful! I've never made anything even remotely similar to it - this is going to the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm! Sweet potatoes, kale, red beans, peanuts ... this is my kind of soup. I'm going to try to make it to the TG farmer's market this Sat. & I'll definitely check out the vegan bake sale!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa, this really sounds so flavorful and fresh. I love peanuts, and they must be really special in this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, peanut butter and sweet potatoes sound so good together! I love hot soups but usually not in the summer. But now that I have AC, there's really no excuse now. Thanks for the recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love soup so much - I wish I weren't the only one in my family to love it so. That being said, this has lots of our favourites, too, so I might give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i was actually just wondering how to translate this recipe into something vegan, but you are amazing! thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this sounds really good - although i've never had african cuisine before. but if this is what it's about, i'm totally game!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been wanting to try an African style peanut soup. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks! I'm just starting to get kale. And I just love that Mark Bittman concept of VB6. Couldn't we just be vegan AFTER 6:00 and be even healthier? I ask you....

    wingraclaire.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks and sounds delicious! We eat soup all year round as well, however I do avoid it when it is as hot as you said! More power to ya for tolerating being in the kitchen in such heat! lol Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails