Monday, May 18, 2009

Smoky Black Bean Soup with Cilantro Sauce


What do you do when you feel like you were run over by a truck? Make soup, that hot, hearty, one dish meal that can soothe all. It all started when I got home from work Friday, and MD told me he just ordered a mondo amount of mulch to arrive Saturday morning. Things got even more alarming when he showed me the spread sheet of calculations to determine the necessary amount for our front and back yards. Despite my trepidation, I determined that no mulch would interfere with Friday cocktail time and proceeded to make margaritas. And all was well until...

Saturday morning greeted us with chilly, drizzly weather. We had weeding to do before the mulch could go down, so we got right to it, crouching, pulling weeds, squatting some more. Then, the mulch arrived, and I mean a mulch mountain. I fantasized about taking a photo of the mulch mountain for you guys, and caption it "I'd rather be blogging", but I was too overwhelmed to get the camera.

Flash forward to Sunday night. We had two days of squatting, pulling, shoveling, hauling, spreading, kneeling, ....you get the picture. I could barely move. What I needed was some serious comforting nourishment, and this soup fit the bill. After a little chopping of vegetables, everything was ready to simmer away while I had a glass of wine and called for more Ibuprofen. The result was a smoky black bean soup with chunky potatoes, red bell peppers, and corn, all flavored with chipotle in adobo. I stirred in a sauce at the end of minced cilantro, garlic, and olive oil to impart a nice flavorful finish.

I hope to get a few shots of our flowers and culinary herbs to share soon. If I can keep Scout from nibbling the Thai basil. And after I stop feeling like I was run over by a truck.

Smoky Black Bean Soup with Cilantro Sauce
Serves 6-8

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced and divided (set 1 clove aside)
1 Tablespoon chipotle in adobo, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup frozen corn
crumbled tortilla chips and hot sauce to garnish, optional

In a large pot (that has a lid), heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper and saute for about 8 minutes. Add 3 cloves minced garlic, chipotle, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Saute for about 1 minute. Add potatoes, tomatoes, beans, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes.

In the meantime, prepare the cilantro sauce by combining the chopped cilantro, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste in a small bowl. Set aside.

After the soup cooks for 30 minutes, remove the lid and add the corn. Simmer for about 15 minutes, until it thickens to the consistency you desire. Turn off heat and stir in cilantro sauce. Serve each bowl garnished with crumbled tortilla chips. Check for seasoning and add salt or hot sauce if desired.

22 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling better soon! I bet that soup helped. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've officially earned that "weekend warrior" title.

    Your soup sounds fantastic! Hope it helped heal the aches and pains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - I am doing the same thing - but my load was 16 yds of top soil. THEN I get to the mulch. But it's all for the fabulous, organic herbs and veggies and fruits - So worth it!! Ibupro, martinis and soup.......we'll make it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks so good to me... and I always seem to have a half-used can of those chipotles in adobo I need to use up

    ReplyDelete
  5. That soup sounds delicious! Soup is definitely hardcore comfort food. Your weekend sounds crazy exhausting, but I'm glad you didn't let anything get in the way of margaritas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Mulch Mountain" - ha! I can just imagine how miserable it probably was in that drizzly and wet weather. This soup sounds nice and thick and delicious- that being said, the margaritas sounded good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck with the gardening and hope you recover soon. your soup sounds delicious!! I do like me some black beans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love working in the yard, but it can leave you feeling like you've been ran over by a car at the end of the day. This soup seems like the perfect way to rest your bones after a weekend like that, smokey, spicy, and oh so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Black beans and chipotle are BFFs!! They go so well together. Sorry that all that hard work made you feel like you got hit my a truck. I detest yard work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice warm soup to enjoy after a physical day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. to answer your first question, i was going to say pig out on pizza and ice cream but yes, this sounds nice too :P

    Isnt chipotle awesome? i am a huge fan of its smoky flavor too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This soup looks great! Hope you are rested up and feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. – that sounds like one helluva mulch pile, Lisa – wowzers! you guys were working your bums off! oh my goodness! rest up & feel better, my friend!

    your smoky black bean soup with cilantro sauce sound most glorious and it looks AMAZING! potatoes, cumin, adobo, fire roasted tomatoes – yeah, it doesn’t get much better than that! mmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yard work always makes me so sore too! Your soup looks delicious and soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hope u feel good soon
    this is a refreshing recipe. i love the combination of tastes

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing, definitely something that would be devoured in my house! SO DELICIOUS! I crave soup at least once a week, there's nothing like curling up in bed with a savory, steamy bowl of hearty goodness. Wonderful, thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. sounds perfect for a nice warm sunday dinner... curled up on a couch and nourishing your tired self.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, the dishes are done and I had to come back and tell you how good this was! My omni husband had seconds and told me to go back and bookmark the recipe. The flavor was spot on! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope you recovered and feeling better! the soup looks awesome, very hearty and comforting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh...you come up with the best combinations! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wanted to let you know that Free Range Cookies in Ferguson is the place that has some vegan sweets. I got scones and lemon cupcakes. Both were very good. They bake with vegan cane sugar and agave nectar.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The soup looks great (perfect combo!). I hope you have recovered from your Mulch Hangover? Feel better and happy planting!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails