Monday, May 4, 2009

Michelada


With Cinco de Mayo coming up fast, I thought I'd try a Michelada for the first time. This Mexican beverage might not have the immediate appeal of the more familiar margarita. Beer over ice, really? But I can imagine finding it festive and refreshing on a sweltering day. The flavors are citrusy, salty, and spicy. For some reason, it reminded me of iced tea, but perhaps this was mostly the color and citrus flavor. The typical Michelada is beer and lime juice over ice, with some savory and spicy seasonings, served in a glass with a salted rim. I added ground ancho chile to kosher salt for some smoky flavor for the glass rim. If you're looking to try something new for Cinco de Mayo, the Michelada is a good option. ¡Salud!

Michelada
1 Serving

kosher salt
ground ancho chile
juice from 1/2 lime
1 dash vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 dash Maggi seasoning sauce or soy sauce
2 dashes hot sauce
12 ounces beer

Place a little kosher salt and ancho chile powder on a saucer. Mix it up. Rub the half lime around the rim of a tall glass then dip the rim in salt and chile mixture.

Add lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, Maggi sauce, and hot sauce to glass. Stir. Put some large ice cubes in the glass and slowly fill with beer. The beer might foam quite a bit.

8 comments:

  1. that's the first time i've heard of this drink! how cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That actually sounds really good! I wish I could try one tonight, but I'm still recovering from a 3-day drunk over the weekend (I was at a festival!), and I'm not gonna look at alcohol for a few days. Sadly, that means no Cinco margaritas.

    I am, however, making your sweet tater, chard, mushroom quesadillas tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds... interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so interesting and looks nice and refreshingly delicious. You always have such neat creations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bianca, you gotta tell us about your festival! I'm heading to your blog to see if you share all about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, what the heck - I have never heard of this and I lived for almost 10 years on the Mexican border! I think I better try this, even if I missed it for Cinco de Mayo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a new one for me too, and it looks like a good reason to celebrate Cinco de Mayo a couple days late. I bet those tastes with beer over ice is fantastic, and the picture makes me want to mix one up now. Looks like the perfect summer drink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting...my bf drinks cheladas all the time either with V8 or that disgusting stuff that budweiser sells in the can. This looks much better!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails