Sunday, May 10, 2009

Cashew Mushroom Pâté


A house concert potluck Friday night gave me the chance to try a new appetizer recipe, this cashew mushroom pâté. If you haven't been to a house concert, keep an eye out for an opportunity in your town. We prefer to hear live music in small venues, and it doesn't get more intimate than someones home. House concerts involve someone hosting a band in their home, and opening the show to the public. All donations go to the band, and people usually bring food to share too. Friday night we saw The Greencards, who put on an energetic show with some amazing musicianship. They play some traditional bluegrass, and plenty of bluegrass-influenced songs with their own modern spin on them. There's a little swing, a little pop, and some world music influences thrown in for good measure.

While my go-to house concert dish is cold peanut noodles, this time I wanted to make a dip instead. This pâté combines sautéed mushrooms and onions with spices and cashews for an earthy taste with a predominant curry flavor. The Lovin' Spoonfuls restaurant recipe was featured in a Vegetarian Times column on best restaurant recipes. I substituted dry vermouth for sherry, since we always have martini fixin's on hand. A little diced peppadew is sprinkled on top to garnish. Check out the article for more fun recipes. I've put The Grit's Golden Bowl on my list to try too. Even though I have The Grit's cookbook, I've yet to make the Golden Bowl.

And thanks everyone for the good thoughts for Ricky! We have our finger crossed that he'll be adopted soon.

20 comments:

  1. Cashew pate! That sounds amazing. I had pate (but raw) at Karyn's Cooked in Chicago for the first time a while back and loved it. Any recipe with the word "cashew" in it usually intrigues me. Love them!

    Oh, and I will have to try the real Golden Bowl at the Grit! It is kind of near where I am living this summer! But the double-frying tofu technique in the recipe sounds like it could be incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pate sounds really delicious! And house concerts are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've made mushroom pate and dips with cashews, but never together! looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds incredibly rich and delicious! I can't wait till I can eat mushrooms again--will go straight for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a house concert! That is so brilliant, and would be wonderful, if only I didn't have such icky neighbours!
    That sounds so rich and yummy - probably the thing that disappears right away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, cashews and mushrooms is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. House concerts sound like a really neat idea. I haven't heard about them before, then again I don't go to that many concerts but what a great concept. And the pate looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, that dip looks GOOD! My fingers are crossed for Ricky too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking pate. Mushrooms rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i saw that recipe, but haven't tried it yet.... sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That pate looks so tasty - I bet the cashews and mushrooms taste great together. I love the house concert idea too! Sounds like so much fun, combining a potluck with good music.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I like the sound of "a predominant curry flavor".

    House shows are the way to do it, though it's been a couple years since I've been to one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love mushrooms, I love cashews, so obviously blending them together is the best idea ever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pate is on my must try list. And this is such a great recipe to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds really, really good! I'm a huge fan of mushrooms and you can't go wrong with cashews. Pate is one thing I've never had...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was the one who left the link comment! And silly me, it got sent before I added anything else. (I always get the captcha outta the way before I start typing, perhaps it's a bad habit.)

    Anyway, I just wanted to let you know about my newly formed vegan baking business in Ze Lou. It wasn't like, spam, or anything. Or maybe it was.

    By the way, all your food looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. stimulusx, sorry I thought you were spam! So happy to hear about your vegan baking. Slowly but surely, vegans are making waves in St. Louis!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails