Sunday, April 19, 2009

Smoky Vegan Sausage Beer Chili with Quinoa


Life has been busy since we returned from vacation, and it looks like this coming week won't slow down either. But I thought I'd take a little break from other things to share this chili recipe. I left it saucy rather than super thick, which makes it a great partner for quinoa or a grain of your choice. And I loved the Liquid Smoke flavor, so don't skip it if you have some around. Hope you all are having a great weekend!

Smoky Vegan Sausage Beer Chili with Quinoa
Serves 6

1 1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
8 ounces vegan sausage (such as Gimme Lean)
2 medium onions, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
1 large jalapeno, minced
2 heaping Tablespoons chili powder
12 ounces beer (such as PBR)
15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
15 ounce can garbanzos, rinsed and drained
2 14 1/2 ounce cans diced tomatoes
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
salt and white pepper to taste (black pepper is fine too)
quinoa, prepared according to package
hot sauce (such as Happy Dogs)

Heat 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute sausage until browned, breaking it into crumbles. Set sausage aside in another container. Add 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil to the pot and heat over medium heat. Saute onions, celery, bell pepper, and jalapeno for 5 to 10 minutes, until soft. Add chili powder and saute for another minute. Add sausage, beer, black beans, garbanzos, tomatoes, corn, Liquid Smoke, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, prepare quinoa according to package. Serve chili over quinoa with hot sauce to taste.

19 comments:

  1. sausage beer chili? how interesting! can you taste the beer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I loved that you used PBR! That's my favorite beer to use in chili too! This sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting take on chilli. Looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pearl, to me the beer lends a nice aroma but not a pronounced flavor.

    Thanks for the nice comments y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm gonna have to say superw00t for PBR! :) and i'm also gonna have to say superw00t for a chili that's smoky, spicy, and saucy! your chili looks super stellar & sounds soooooo delicious, Lisa! mmmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you took a break to post this recipe, it looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum!! I've never met a veg chili I didn't like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you had a great vacation! I love beer in my chili! This sounds like a great recipe - you can never have enough chili recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chili looks absolutely amazing, especially with the garbanzos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loooooooooove chili and this recipe is right up my alley!! I love using beer in my cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks so freaking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That chili is like a bowl of my favorite things. Except quinoa. I'm quinoa challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made your chili this weekend! I used pinto beans instead of chickpeas and it still came out great. I served it with cornmeal pancakes...will definitely make again!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jess, I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for the feedback. Cornmeal pancakes are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This chili is SO GOOOD! Love the subtle flavor that the beer gives it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails