Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mexican Vegetable Stew with Cilantro Lime Rice


This stew marries Latin flavors such as ground ancho chile, cumin, and Mexican oregano with a bit of tomatillo salsa for a smoky, sweet note. The Cilantro Lime Rice, a delicious tester recipe for Vegan Latina, tasted great with the stew due to the tangy contrast.

We leave soon for a few days in San Francisco! I'm busily bookmarking tourist guides and restaurant menus on my Touch, and my VegOut app is ready to go. Let me know if you have any recommendations for vegan eats I shouldn't miss! I expect to be back to blogging sometime after Wednesday next week. Have a great week everyone!

Mexican Vegetable Stew
Serves 6

1 Tablespoon canola oil
8 ounces seitan, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground ancho chile
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
2 cups not chick'n broth (or vegetable)
2 cups diced potatoes
2 carrots, sliced into thin half-moons
28 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
15 ounces kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup tomatillo salsa
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
hot sauce to taste

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add seitan, onion, and bell pepper. Saute about 10 minutes, until soft and everything begins to brown a little.
Add garlic, ancho chile, cumin, and oregano. Saute about 30 seconds.
Add broth, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, beans, and salsa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover with a lid. Simmer about 30 minutes. Remove lid and simmer until the stew thickens, if necessary. Season to taste.

22 comments:

  1. Yum I've been meaning to make a stew lately, this looks perfect!

    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. millennium (http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/) if you've got the scratch, cha ya (http://www.yelp.com/biz/cha-ya-vegetarian-japanese-restaurant-san-francisco), herbivore (http://www.herbivorerestaurant.com/), maggie mudd (http://www.maggiemudd.com), lucky creation (http://www.yelp.com/biz/lucky-creation-vegetarian-restaurant-san-francisco)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendations Laura! I put them on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Now I know what to do with the extra package of seitan in my fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh lisa that stew looks so yum. have a great time in san fran!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, if it's as good as the picture looks i'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love your Mexican food posts! Have a blast in San Fran!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious and hearty - the recipe tests for Vegan Latina sound like I'll have another cookbook to buy. Have fun in San Francisco!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious, so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photo - and lovely sounding stew!
    SF is one of my favourite American cities!!! You are going to have so much fun - can't wait to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although not a Vegan joint, Weird Fish on Mission has the BEST Vegan Fish and Chips I've ever had! They also have a few other Vegan options.
    Expect LONG waits on weekends, and bring ear plug if you have sensitive ears... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm...that whole bowl looks sooo good. I love the idea of lime rice!

    Now, you MUST tell me about this VegOut app. Is it for a cell phone? And which one? I'm hoping for an iPhone for my birthday and I'm super-excited about apps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow- I've never heard of the VegOut App! Thanks for sharing :) Stew looks amazing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks really good.

    There's just something about cilantro/lime rice that gets me going every time :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are making Vegan Latina look amazing! I hope you have a great time in San Francisco!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks delicious! let us know what comes up in San Francisco!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! You make the best stews! :-) Millennium is the place to go; it's so good there, a little pricey though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The stew looks so refreshing and colorful!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Herbivore in San Francisco is amazing! I went there at least 3 times in my one-week trip to San Francisco a few years ago. Get the french toast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh this sounds fantastic, and paired with the cilantro lime rice...mmmmmm.

    I hope you have a great time in San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sad I missed you coming to San Francisco! You should have emailed me for the inside scoop, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sometimes I feel like we're kindred food spirits. You always make great looking latin dishes, and that's my fave!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails