Friday, March 27, 2009

Vegan Nachos with Avocado Buttermilk Dressing


Vegan nachos? What, is that some kind of oxymoron? How can you have nachos without cheese? Let me count the ways. You might make a "cheezy" sauce. Vegan Explosion is working on selling their vegan queso online and will re-post the apparently amazing recipe soon. Also, this recipe is another one of many for vegan nacho sauce available on the web. I'll admit that I haven't ventured much into the faux cheese sauce territory. Instead, I tend to replace the cheese in nachos with guacamole, or even better, a creamy, tangy avocado dressing. Previously, I loved this Creamy Avocado Dressing. Today's version is equally delicious, but a bit chunkier in texture and with a vegan buttermilk base. It's quite spicy, so if that's not your thing, reduce the amount of jalapeno or hot sauce.

Before we get to the recipe, I thought I'd share a couple of fun sites I've been visiting of late: VEGdaily and Ecorazzi. Both have plenty of veg news and gossip. Happy weekend everyone!

Vegan Nachos with Avocado Buttermilk Dressing
dressing serves about 3 nacho dinner plates

1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
about 1/4 cup soy milk
1 Tablespoon Vegenaise
juice from 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 large jalapeno, chopped
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1/2 avocado, mashed
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
tortilla chips
refried beans
shredded lettuce
corn kernels
chopped grape tomatoes
chopped scallions
salsa

To make dressing, put the vinegar in a 1/4 cup size measuring cup. Fill the cup with soy milk. Let sit a few minutes while you prep the other ingredients.
In a food processor, combine the vinegar and soy milk mixture with the Vegenaise through hot sauce ingredients. Pulse until combined.
Prepare the nachos. You might either heat the beans in a pot on the stove top and then spoon onto tortilla chips, or broil the chips covered in beans on a baking sheet to heat. Top with remaining ingredients and avocado dressing.

26 comments:

  1. Lisa, you are awesome! That dressing sounds absolutely perfect for nachos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That DOES sound perfect for nachos! I have tried the cheesy sauce, but would never have thought to use a dressing like this. . . this will be my next nacho plate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why oh why did I decide to read your post, just one last post, before going food shopping? I think we'll be having nachos tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Nachos look lovely...and since summer is around the corner, this is even better because I might want to stay away from all the cheese ;) I can have my Nachos and eat 'em too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm in looooooooove! avocado buttermilk dressing?!? sweet deliciousness - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love veganexplosion's queso because it's fat free and soy free. This seems like it would be very high fat, which I have to avoid right now. I might try this eventually though.
    -Miariam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum!! I love vegan nachos! I still haven't tried them with Ctate's queso.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting idea for a sauce! I'll try it next time I make nachos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the same way about avocado, it adds the creamyness and "something" that cheese does. I have tried just a few of the vegan cheese sauces, and honestly, they have all been pretty horrible. This avocado sauce sounds great, I may have to give this a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks absolutely amazing as always. Such a sunny dish. I'm ready for lunch now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dressing sounds fantastic! I'm planning on making nachos next week with the new nacho Teese. And I might make this dressing too because two sauces are better than one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that sounds so cool and looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this sounds yummy!
    Ctates (veganexplosions) queso is the only good cheese sauce but avocado sounds good too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That avacado dressing looks so good. I've actually been looking for a dressing like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yum! would be great for parties or mexican night...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did someone just say "avocado buttermilk dressing?!"

    I am making this asap!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! Nachos! Awesome TGIF food! It looks so bright and fresh and ready for the weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! That dressing sounds just perfect! Thank you so much for the recipe, I want to try this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. that a great recipe... for nachos, but i can also think of a ton of other yumminess i could add it to. there is a local restaurant that makes avocado dressing (non-vegan) so this is an awesome way to duplicate it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photo-- just wish I had a plate in front of me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This dish is so "springy" with all the gorgeous colors! I haven't experimented with many faux cheese sauces either, I'm not the biggest fan of nutritional yeast and it seems to be in every recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh MY GOSH! Those nachos look so amazing! The photo alone is worth a prize....and I can't even begin to imagine how great they taste! Awesome and totally inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  23. nachos with a little gossip on the side? count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  24. avocado butter milk dressing. o-m-g.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails