Friday, March 20, 2009

Vegan Chicken Salad with Red Curry Peanut Dressing


This showy dish entices you back to eating salad with vibrant colors and rich flavor. I've mentioned my hiatus from salad during the chilly St. Louis winter, and the Chipotle Roasted Vegetables with Avocado and Mixed Greens that helped me get back on track. Today's salad is similarly hearty with pan-fried Match vegan chicken crumbled on top. The romaine lettuce and purple cabbage provide a crunchy contrast. On the spur of the moment, I sprinkled in some peppadew peppers. Their sweet-spicy flavor complemented the red curry peanut dressing perfectly!

Vegan Chicken Salad with Red Curry Peanut Dressing
Serves 3-4

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 package Match chicken
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
1/4 cup organic natural peanut butter
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 Tablespoon vegan red curry paste
1 Tablespoon tamari
1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
1 teaspoon Sriracha
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
romaine lettuce, chopped
purple cabbage, shredded
grape tomatoes, chopped
peppadew peppers

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Tear vegan chicken into pieces and place in skillet. Saute 5 minutes or so, until the chicken begins to develop a brown crust. Use tongs to turn each piece and saute until the other side browns, breaking up with a spatula. Remove from heat. When cool enough to handle, cut into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.

Make the dressing by whisking coconut milk, peanut butter, ginger, red curry paste, tamari, agave nectar, Sriracha, and salt in a large measuring cup or bowl.

Prepare the salad by combining remaining ingredients with chicken and dressing.

23 comments:

  1. That looks SO MUCH like chicken! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those colours! What a beautiful salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that salad looks so enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not very impressed with the Match "meats", maybe I just didn't cook it right because your chicken looks delicious. So many colors! So Springy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great dressing :) And I have yet to try Match faux-meats but perhaps I'll give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! Way to get back into the spring food :) Happy spring to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to kick it into gear with the salads, too...this one is a definite inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your salad is beautiful and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm really digging this salad, Lisa! it sounds excellent and looks so colorful & yummy! going to have to check out the match "chicken" - see if i can find some! mmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahhh lisa - those peppers! I really have to try them. The salad looks divine!!! Num Num - avocado is just about the most heavenly food on the planet. You KICK!

    Glad you liked the doc!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That salad looks just divine! Your colours are screaming Spring! I am so looking forward to lighter and brighter fare! That faux chicken looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you're back to eating salads. And I'm glad it is Spring!

    I've never had Match chicken. I always have to make a seitan version. Did you order yours?

    ReplyDelete
  13. aTxVegn, Match is actually made in St. Louis, so I can get it at Whole Foods and another grocery store in town. However, it can also be ordered from Cosmo's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If enticing is the purpose of the salad, then mission accomplished :) I have bookmarked the recipe :)

    I also read about the post on peppadews. Never heard of them before so thanks for introducing them to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i've actually never used 'red' curry before. i usually just make my own yellow curry powder. but it sounds good...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sping salads! Nice flavors you have going on. What a nice change from season to season.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for your kind note. This salad of yours is making me want to get over this flu stat and eat solid foods again asap. It looks amazing, just delish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this would be a great way to serve Match chicken! None of the recipes on the Match website really interested me, but I love this one...probably because I am a member of Peanut Sauce Addicts Anonymous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. They don't sell the Match chicken here and it makes me sad. I could always sub chopped up Boca chicken patty or maybe Morningstar strips though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your salad looks delicious, and I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your salad sounds absolutely delicious! I've started getting salady veggies in my CSA, which is very exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails