Monday, March 30, 2009

Green Coconut Curry with Asparagus and Tofu


This weekend was one of simple pleasures. Saturday was rainy and chilly, providing the perfect excuse to stay indoors to cook and catch up on chores. (After starting the day with soyrizo and spinach tofu scramble of course.) Y'all know that feeling when you don't really mind puttering around the house because you're finally getting around to some stuff that's been on the "to do" list way too long? Plus, I played a long list of Latin tunes, and Manu Chao, Chingon, and Gotan Project provided a lively soundtrack for a dish I'll post next time.

Sunday was chilly again, and started with an inch of snow on the ground. This meant another great day for chores and cooking, including this green coconut curry. With this dish, I finally got my weekly coconut curry fix, which I can get grumpy without.

And with a dish this easy, there's really no reason to go a week without coconut curry. This version is bursting with vegetables, but feel free to play around with the particular ones you include. Jasmine rice goes great with it to soak up the broth.


Green Coconut Curry with Asparagus and Tofu
Serves 4-6

1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 small red onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced into thin semi-circles
1 large portobella, thinly sliced
1/2 large jalapeno, minced
1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 bunch asparagus, tough ends discarded, and sliced into 1-inch pieces
14 ounces extra-firm tofu
13 1/2 ounces coconut milk
1 cup vegetable broth
1 Tablespoon Braggs or tamari
2 Tablespoons vegan green curry paste
juice from 1/2 lime
large handful cilantro, chopped
salt to taste
Sriracha, as desired
jasmine rice, prepared according to package

Press the tofu for about 20 minutes or so. Cut into bite-sized cubes.

In a large skillet (that has a lid), heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and mushroom. Saute for about 8 minutes, until vegetables soften. Add jalapeno and ginger. Saute about 1 minute. Add asparagus, tofu, coconut milk, vegetable broth, Braggs, and curry paste. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens to desired consistency. Add lime juice and cilantro. Add salt if necessary. Serve over jasmine rice, topped with Sriracha.

20 comments:

  1. That looks like straight from the restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photo, Lisa! I don't think I've ever had asparagus in a curry dish, and I'm wondering why the heck not! Must try!
    I also love me a little Manu...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that looks like something i'd order out of a restaurant :) where do you get the ideas to create such nice dishes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is just one amazing dish, Lisa! we've got a bit of green curry paste in our fridge, and we always have some local tofu in the freezer we can use. and any dish with coconut milk is one i'll truly enjoy! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! thanks, Lisa!

    (hooray for a day of getting to check off some of your "to do" list, too! superw00t!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that looks absolutely marvelous! I am a sucker for coconut. This is a must try recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!! I love coconut curries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yumtastic! i have never put asparagus in my coconut curry dishes, but it sounds pretty fantastic now that i think about it. curries are probably my favorite dish to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge, huge fan of green coconut curry! That looks so good, I wish I had a bowl of it right now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so delicious! I crossed a whole bunch of things off my to do list this weekend, it feels so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snow in March?! I'm sorry! At least you had that curry to warm you up. I love the idea of using asparagus in a curry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous!!

    PS You must tell everyone that the snow was gone by afternoon and that it was a gorgeous spring day after that!! And that our spring is especially early and lush this year. And that ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great Lisa - I adore anything with coconut milk. I will give this a try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks gorgeous! You have got to give the green curry in Hot Sour Salty Sweet a try...just replace the fish sauce and shrimp paste with some extra salt (and obviously the chicken/duck with tofu) and it is completely vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm... portobella and asparagus! Sounds fabulous. That was a freaky little snowstorm, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't the weather this time of year crazy? But that curry would help take the edge off (and put the spice on!).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the type of day you describe here. sometimes, it's good to have the weather dictate the pace of the day. it's one thing I dislike about the summer: the sun's pretty much always out, so that leaves very little room to make excuses and be a total lazy-butt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh...the weather was terrible last weekend! I hope we get some sun over the next few days (though it's not looking good for today!)

    I loooooove curry and can't wait to try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never had asparagus in a curry, but why not! It looks great, well anything curry and spicy looks great to me.

    Sometimes I hope for a rainy weekend so I'll actually stay home and get things done. It usually makes me sleepy though and I end up taking a lot of naps instead of cooking and cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm eating this as I'm typing. This is absolutely delicious! It's light but yummy!! Thank you so much for this easy yet amazing recipe!

    Cindy in Rhode Island

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails