Sunday, March 8, 2009

Asparagus with Dijon Maple Adobo Sauce


Hello again! I found little time last week for cooking and blogging, and I certainly missed it. We made do with nachos, tofu scramble, and whatever else we could get on the table with little effort or thought. However, the weekend finally provided the chance to try some new things, one of which is this asparagus appetizer or snack. Blanched asparagus as a dipper is elegant in appearance, and also plain fun since you get to eat with your fingers. And remember that sweet, tangy mustard you used to eat pre-vegan (that contained egg and honey)? You can whip up this tasty vegan version before you can say "vegan food rocks."

Asparagus with Dijon Maple Adobo Sauce

1 bunch asparagus
1 Tablespoon salt
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotles in adobo
paprika to garnish

Snap tough bottoms from asparagus stalks and discard bottoms. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and return to boil. Add asparagus and boil around 3 minutes. Prepare a large bowl of ice water while asparagus cooks. Use tongs to transfer asparagus to ice water when cooked. Drain, pat dry with a clean kitchen towel, and sprinkle with pepper and salt.

To make sauce, stir Dijon, maple syrup, and adobo sauce in a bowl. Adjust proportions to your liking. Serve asparagus in a tumbler with sauce on the side for dipping. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.

24 comments:

  1. That looks really really delicious! I love how you paired it with asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that looks like a good dipping sauce! What about dipping artichoke leaves in that? YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I love my asparagus, and the sauce looks perfect for dipping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a perfect low cal snack and the sauce sounds amazing! We should be getting fresh asparagus around here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun presentation! I am also a big fan of sweetened mustard sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I never thought of using simple blanched asparagus spears as an appetizer; honestly, I always just roast them to death in the oven! But this sounds much more elegant and fresh. Great ideas all around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at asparagus...but that sauce! Oh my! This is so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. brilliant, Lisa! just brilliant! i never would have thought of using asparagus for something like this. i love it! super creative and oh-so yummy looking, too! the sauce sounds soooo gooooood! gonna have to try this out, fo 'sho!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never in a million years would I have thought to dip asparagus! I love it! And I must try that sauce, it sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, what a unique and delicious sounding sauce! Love the dipping idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great idea. Definately goin in the box of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great idea. Definately goin in the box of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love maple syrup, so I'll try it in anything. The presentation is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in love with dijon mustard, maple, & chipotles in adobo... So I'm pretty sure this recipe tasted awesome! Asparagus dippers sound really fun too!

    I still haven't tried vegan nachos... I should get around to that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks delicious AND is a great way to use up adobo sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg ASPARAGUS.

    i'm so excited for it to be in season.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love asparagus so much, I dance the jig every time they reappear at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lisa!!!! That asparagus in the vase looks so elegant and sophisticated, I'd go and drip mustard sauce all over myself and look silly next to such prettyness!

    I can't wait for asparagus to start coming in season here, because I am so going to be a copycat and make your saucy sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds great - i love me some asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok, well you know I love spicy food, and I am a fan of both adobo and asparagus. I would have never thought to have them together. Your dipping sauce sounds very unique and quite delicious. I'm saving this one for the spring asparagus season, it is right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maple dijon is one of my absolute favorite flavor combinations, and I'm sure the adobo gives it an extra special kick. I'll be using this sauce soon, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks so good! and what a great combo of flavors! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. We made this recipe for a New Years party. Making it again for a birthday get together, I can find some good asparagus. It's pretty and delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails