Monday, February 16, 2009

Chipotle Roasted Vegetables with Avocado and Mixed Greens


This is my idea of a transition salad. I've neglected eating raw vegetables during these cold winter days, but I recently noticed some appetizing photos of green salads on other vegan blogs. To ease my way back to fresh salads, I created this one that includes roasted vegetables as well. Well, not any roasted vegetables, primarily roasted potatoes. And potatoes make everything appealing, in my opinion. We enjoyed this salad very much. The chipotle roasted potatoes and red onions contribute a little heat, smoky flavor, and crispy texture. Then there's the fresh mixed greens and creamy avocado, with the surprising crunch of pumpkin seeds. A light, tangy vinaigrette brings it all together.

If you're like me, you might be tempted to pile on the vegetables when roasting. They make great leftovers and it seems like an efficient strategy to roast a lot at once. But resist the urge. You want plenty of space on the baking sheet so that the vegetables crisp up, rather than steam. I found that this amount of vegetables worked fine for roasting in one batch.

And by the way, the HSMO Adopt-a-thon was very successful! I think around 25 adoptions occurred from the Macklind location. It was heart warming to see so many pets and their new people go home together, not to mention the hard work and dedication of the staff and volunteers. If you ever doubt that there are people in the world who are compassionate and devoted to making a difference, consider volunteering somewhere such as the Humane Society, where I'm inspired by compassionate people every time I'm there.

Chipotle Roasted Vegetables with Avocado and Mixed Greens
3-4 servings

1 pound organic yellow potatoes, chopped into small pieces
1/2 large red onion, chopped
1 1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
2 Tablespoons walnut oil (or use another oil of your preference)
1 1/2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 avocado, chopped
mixed salad greens
pumpkin seeds

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place potatoes and red onion on a baking sheet with the 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil and ground chipotle. Stir to coat the vegetables. Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring once after about 10 minutes.

Prepare the vinaigrette by combining walnut oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, and salt and pepper in a jar. Top with a lid and shake.

After the vegetables are roasted, let them cool slightly. Prepare only as much salad as you want to eat now, storing leftover ingredients separately. Place your preferred amount of salad greens and roasted vegetables in a bowl with some avocado and pumpkin seeds. Add just enough vinaigrette for this serving. Stir gently. Check for seasoning.

21 comments:

  1. your chipotle roasted veggie salad looks so scrumptious, Lisa! it sounds perfect for winter, too - and that i really love! i've never used walnut oil before - i think i need to pick some up and give it a try - and thanks for the tip on roasting the veggies!

    that made me superhappyfaced that the HSMO Adopt-a-thon was such a success! wahooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been so lacking in the salad area also due to it being cold. Every once in awhile I'll crave a big salad. This one looks so appetizing and with roasted vegetables, nice transition into spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post reminds me of how long its been since I've had a salad! My winter veggies have mostly consisted of potatoes (sweet and regular), winter squash, onions, garlic, kale, and what I froze. And the chipotle roasted potatoes and avocado, I'm sold. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've too been trying to incorporate more salads into my diet in anticipation of the big thaw, and this idea is simply marvelous. We have these baby boiler potatoes that I love in our dining hall, but I never thought of adding them to a salad! Now if only I could get my hands on chipotle chiles... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY for a successfull Adopt-a-thon! I hope Rosetta is one of the lucky dogs that found a loving home.

    Your roasted veggies look perfect! You are right, potatoes do make everything appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great - I like the idea of a transitional salad for winter, with roasted vegetables. Raw salad just doesn't have the same appeal in winter, and this is a great solution! So nice to hear that many dogs found new homes during the adoption campaign - it's always great news to know they're going to have a family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, this is my kind of salad. Roasted potatoes, red onions, avocado....three of my favorite things! Delicious. Thank you for the recipe, I will be making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This totally is my kind of salad...especially considering the snow outside. Everything with chipotle is nice, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great news about the adopt-a-thon! brought a big smile to my biddy face! That's 25 happy families!
    I love the idea of hot/cold, or transition salads (love the transition idea!). Fresh produce is so expensive right now, cucumbers were 2.50E a piece at the market today, but potatoes? 2E/K. Potatoes won.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chipotle + Roasted Veggies = HEAVEN!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look and sound great can't wait to try love Chipotle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has everything I love - and I do enjoy the leftovers - - how long can you keep left over veggies before they lose their nutitional value?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the interesting comments everyone! Mary, I googled your question but was not able to find any info. I usually think in terms of whether leftovers are still appealing and safe to eat, but hadn't thought of their nutrition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Huh...I think I just learned something. Lately, I've been wondering why my homemade fries don't crisp up every time I bake them. I think the times they get crispy are the times I've overloaded my pans. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great looking salad! I love all the ingredients that went into this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You fry avocado? interesting, never tried that. Yums, love hearty food (especially when it is not so unhealthy like yours :-) I have been vegan for two years and then somehow went off track. Now I am in the first third of my 21-day vegan challenge and am loving it :-) feel so much better. Great to see this many people blogging vegan,. you guys are a great inspiration to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. zlamushka, fried? No, the avocado is added fresh. Good luck with your vegan challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you!!! How many 17 yr old teenage boys ask "Is there more salad?" This was wonderful!!! I served it with Chicken with sundried tomate and mustar sauce and I should have made more!

    I did add goat cheese to the mix as I just love that.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thymes of Change, thanks for visiting and I'm glad you liked the recipe. But chicken and goat cheese? Oh dear, so not vegan. Maybe you'll try the vegan version next time!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails