Thursday, February 5, 2009

Broccoli, Seitan, and Penne in Peanut Sauce


This recipe might have you thinking, why go out to dinner? Instead, I can eat broccoli and whole wheat pasta with seitan smothered in a spicy peanut sauce at home. In my pajamas. Not that anyone around here would already be in pajamas at dinner time. Ahem.

Ah well, winter won't last forever. I'll be taking long walks in the evenings and puttering around the yard, rather than holing up indoors in lounge wear, until well after dinner time once the summer evenings arrive.

This dish met MD's approval as well. He said if he were served this at a restaurant, he'd be so satisfied that he'd order it next time too. I guess we have a keeper! Enjoy the weekend everyone. The St. Louis temperature is supposed to warm up a little. I hope the same for you, should you so desire.

Broccoli, Seitan, and Penne in Peanut Sauce
About 3-4 servings? My memory fails me!

1/2 Tablespoon peanut oil (or more as needed)
8 ounces seitan, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
6 Tablespoons peanut butter
6 Tablespoons hot water
3 Tablespoons tamari
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 Tablespoon Thai red chile sauce
salt to taste
1 medium carrot, sliced into bite-sized matchsticks
8 ounces whole wheat penne
1/2 pound broccoli, florets chopped and stems peeled and thinly sliced
toasted sesame oil
2 scallions, chopped

In a medium skillet, heat peanut oil over medium heat. Saute seitan and ground ginger a few minutes until seitan begins to brown. Add more oil if needed. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk the peanut butter, water, tamari, garlic, sugar, chile sauce, and salt until combined. Set aside.

In a large pot, cook the penne until almost al dente, about 8 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook 2-3 more minutes. Drain. Place penne and broccoli back in the large pot and drizzle with a little toasted sesame oil. Add seitan, carrot, and the amount of peanut sauce you desire. Top each serving with scallions.

20 comments:

  1. I definitely need to try this recipe out (yes, my PB obsession includes peanut sauce!) :) I think you, me, and RubyRed should meet up at Sweet Art one Saturday so we can have lunch followed by cupcakes, hehe. I had the "Sweet Burger" and it was pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that's one nice comment of approval from Don! I've been seriously (... seriously) craving a bowl of noodles and I think they would hold this sauce quite well. Looks great, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like everything about this dish. . .broccoli, seitan (which I sorely miss) and PB. And, of course, PJs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!!! That peanut sauce looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything with peanut sauce gets my interest - sounds so good with broccoli and seitan. I have to try your curry chickpea dip too! So much to catch up on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm!

    why is peanut butter good with everything. what a great invention.

    ReplyDelete
  7. seitan + peanuts = my favorite things ever.

    did i ever tell you how much your blog makes me hungry???

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a keeper to me too, Lisa! hooray for lots of time in pajamas. when i get home from work & my run in the evenings i totally put on my warmest pair of pajamas! makes the evening more awesome!

    your dish looks beautiful & has me hungry even though i ate my oatmeal for breakfast just about an hour ago. mmmmmmmmm!

    happy friday times & i hope you two enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe sounds fabulous! I'm obsessed with peanut butter and broccoli is my favorite veggie. I think it's a sign...I have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dinner in pajamas is one of the most comforting things to do in winter! It feels like you could just jump in bed and get warm and comfy any time.

    This yummy dish does look like something one could order at a vegan restaurant!

    Enjoy the warmer weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Broccoli with peanut sauce sounds wonderful! I am so ready for winter to be over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seitan and broccoli is a winning combo for sure! I'd order that in a restaurant...or I could make it myself using your handy recipe.

    It'll be 69 degrees here tomorrow! Today's in the low 60s. I'm even wearing short sleeves. Yea for almost spring time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That's my kind of dinner. Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i will definitely be making this! i am on a seitan kick right now, and i absolutely love peanut sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can totally eat anything covered in peanut sauce - anytime, anywhere, in any pajamas. It looks so yummy and what a great combination of ingredients! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never had seitan before and I am always so curious at to what it takes like. I know I'm missing a lot. I need to order some wheat gluten so I can make my own.
    Your dish here sounds so good! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love curling up in front of a good movie, in my pj's with a big bowl of something delicious to snack on, and this definitely fits the bill. What a great recipe, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Peanut Sauce!!!! It's like true love, and when you add seitan and pasta to the mix...heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YUM!
    anything with broccoli is an A in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was pretty tasty! There are a few things I'd tweak for my own personal tastes but it will be a regular recipe! We used a jar of peanut gluten that added to the nuttiness... yumm! :D

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails