Friday, January 9, 2009

Kale Pesto with Vegan Ravioli


I seem to be smitten with kale. It's relatively new to my kitchen, one of the foods I began to cook only after becoming vegan. It's delightful in soup due to the hearty texture, and quick as can be to saute with garlic for a healthy side. But as the base for pesto? I wondered whether it would be too bitter. This recipe inspired me to give it a try, and it was delicious! And the color, so vibrant. We enjoyed this pesto with Rising Moon Organics Creamy Artichoke and Olive Ravioli, but I can imagine how much I'd like it stirred up in a baked Yukon Gold potato too.

Also, a note to Missouri vegans, did you notice that Laura of Peace by Pastries started a thread on the PPK forums about a vegan meet up? Check out the thread if you're interested in a Show Me State vegan get together! And have a great weekend everyone!

Kale Pesto
Adapted from Whole Foods

8 ounces fresh kale (about 1/2 a bunch)
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup pinenuts, toasted
1/3 cup walnuts, toasted
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
vegan ravioli
sliced kalamata olives, optional garnish

Remove thick stems from kale and coarsely chop. Rinse it well and spin a couple of times in a salad spinner to dry. Pulse garlic a few times in the food processor. Add nuts, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and about 1/3 of the kale. Pulse several times, then add kale in two more batches, pulsing each batch. Slowly add olive oil while processing. Check for salt and pepper.

Prepare ravioli according to package. Reserve a little pasta cooking water. Drain the ravioli and combine with the amount of pesto to your liking. Thin the pesto with a little pasta water as you mix with ravioli. Garnish with kalamatas if you like.

20 comments:

  1. I never thought of making pesto with kale! It is also relatively new to me and I wonder how I survived so many years without it. It's so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started cooking with kale this summer...I love it! I can't believe I went that long without ever having tried it. Your pesto looks great- I'm going to have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pesto looks delicious and clings exceptionally well to the ravioli, but I worry that the kale might retain its "raw" taste and texture. I'll definitely give this a try because I am in love with kale as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. we've gotta try this, Lisa - it looks so delicious! dan is starting to like kale more and more - and we just looooove a good pesto! when basil isn't in season this is just PERFECT! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heart kale! It's kinda new-ish to me too. I didn't even know what kale was until a couple years ago. And now it's one of my favorite greens. I bet it's awesome in pesto. I'd like to start experimenting with different veggie bases for pesto. I hear arugula is also tasty in pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just saw another pesto recipe on happyveganface's blog... i totally am going to have pesto tonight. this looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kale is one of my favorite greens, and pesto is a perfect way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love kale too, and have never tried it as pesto. That Rising Moon ravioli is good stuff, and looks delicious with the pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your ravioli is so gloriously green! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dish is a work of art, Lisa! So vibrant and green. it looks so 3D, like it's popping out of the monitor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm smitten with kale, too! Pesto has never looked so pretty, either. I love this idea! And Rising Moon Ravioli is so yummy. I wish they would make vegan tortellini already (or maybe they do?).

    I just posted on the ppk about the Missouri meet-up. We should persuade everyone to have it in St. Louis!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for posting this! I've been cooking with lots of spinach lately and have been dying to try some kale. This looks like a fun recipe to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the interesting comments everyone!

    And RubyRed, St. Louis sounds like a good location for the meet up to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just gave you a little award at St Mary - I love following your blog - you keep me healthy and young !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want some kale, too! That looks just beautiful, and delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful color! I love kale, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kale pesto is such a great idea! It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this for lunch today (in my new food processor I might add) and it was wonderful. I did change it a bit - I'm sick of hummus and was looking for a new sandwich spread. It turned out perfectly! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails