Friday, January 2, 2009

Cajun Spiced Tempeh Sandwiches



This recipe for Cajun Spiced Tempeh yields a large casserole dish of barbecued tempeh slices that can be piled on buns for filling sandwiches. The recipe is easy but does involve several steps. Tempeh slices are pan fried and then baked in a spicy tomato sauce studded with sauteed bell peppers and onions. They are meant to be served on hoagie rolls like po' boys, but we ate ours open-faced on wheat buns we had on hand. The flavor develops and is even better the next day. This is a Bryant Terry recipe, and I can't wait until his Vegan Soul Kitchen comes out this Spring.

17 comments:

  1. that looks really good it's making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it in Grub? I love that Bryant Terry! He's originally from Memphis, ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Tempeh! Wow, this has to be the most delicious looking tempeh dish I've ever seen! I love your plate, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap. That looks like the perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! i just drooled onto my keyboard a little! aaaahhahaha! those look amaaaaaaaazing! totally printing off the recipe - thanks, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm! I didn't know about the book. . .another one to add to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks delicious! I need to make some tempeh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yumm-o. i can't wait for that book either, with recipes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those sandwiches look awesome! Tempeh sometimes does take some extra pampering, but it's so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa~! This recipe looks great. I have never had anything Cajun before and have never tried cooking with the cajun-y spice collection. But you have tempted me! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. those are very drool-worthy! i will take 2, minus the bell peppers. :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the fun comments y'all! Bianca, yes I think this recipe is from Grub, but I found it online on CHOW.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! That looks like a seriously tasty sandwich - good and spicy.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails