Monday, January 5, 2009

Broccoli and Baby Spinach Soup


This is not the typical soup recipe for me. I tend toward chunky soups that are a meal in a bowl. But sometimes a lighter soup is in order, as a starter or to complement a heavier side dish. This recipe is a nice one to keep in mind for such times. It caught my eye due to the use of oats to thicken the texture. And full of broccoli and spinach, what's not to love?

Before we get to the recipe, a note to St. Louisans that SweetArt from-scratch bakeshop and art studio is open for business! Hours currently are Wednesday through Saturday, 10-6. You might call ahead if you are making a trip just for vegan goodies. The day I stopped by, I grabbed the last vegan chocolate chip cookies in the store! They were as delicious as they were gigantic, according to the non-vegans I shared them with too. And don't forget you can place an order at SweetArt for vegan cakes and cupcakes for any occasion.



Broccoli and Baby Spinach Soup
Adapted from Everyday Food
Serves about 8

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
about 2 pounds 4 ounces broccoli, spears separated and stalks peeled and thinly sliced
2/3 cup rolled oats
8 cups vegetable broth
3 cups water
salt and pepper
1 cup baby spinach

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Saute onions and celery until they soften. Add garlic and nutmeg and saute about 30 seconds more. Add broccoli, oats, broth, water, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. During the last couple of minutes, add spinach. Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the soup. Check again for seasoning.

12 comments:

  1. Umm genius!? You just combined my two favorite greens in one soup!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your broccoli & baby spinach soup looks great - i love the color! and i'm loving the ingredients as well! mmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookies! It doesn't get much better than chocolate chip cookies.

    Soup with oats, that's a first for me! It's so fantastically green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of oats as a thickener (coming from me, that doesn't mean much) but it sounds very interesting and it looks great.

    The cookies look yummy and huge. Are they really as big as they look? I'll give anything for one of those and a nice tall glass of soy milk. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that plate and bowl set! And of course, the soup sounds phenomenal too. Oats are an awesome thickener. I didn't realize that until I made an uncheese spread with them from the Uncheese book.

    I wanna go to this SweetArt place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the news about SweetArt! Gigantic chocolate chip cookies sound wonderful to me. :)

    I'm at my parents' house in Texas right now and am scared about coming back to STL cold weather next week... Maybe if I could start making yummy soups like yours, I'd be better prepared to face the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The soup looks so good! It's one of the few broccoli soups without potatoes - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oats in soup! I never would have thought of that. You rock. The soup looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea of oats in a soup - never would have thought of that either.

    Those cookies look delicious - I wish I had a cookie!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chow Vegan, the cookies are huge- they are on a salad-sized plate and practically fill it.

    Ruby Red Vegan, enjoy the TX weather while you can! We have freezing rain this morning.

    Thanks for the interesting comments everyone! Always so nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. no, i haven't put up my biscuit recipe yet...it, too, is still a work-in-progress! they are good now, but i think they can be better. i'm so with you in wanting to make a good vegan biscuit!! i'm hoping to get there soon!
    do you ever pass through columbia??

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah that would be great! i really want it to happen...i bet at least a few other people would, too!! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails