Monday, December 1, 2008

Sweet Tahini Miso Dip with Steamed Broccoli

I hope everyone had a restful holiday. We are settling back in after our visit to family in SC. While many people hit the malls on Friday, I convinced my family to go to Earth Fare instead! I don't think we have any Earth Fare stores in the St. Louis area, but this one seemed very similar to Whole Foods. It had all the vegan essentials- tempeh, seitan, Vegenaise, Silk, Earth Balance, and even a few deli and bakery vegan selections! This totally blew me away for a small town. It will be one of my first stops next time I visit!

Okay, has anyone else had enough sweet potatoes and green beans for now? This dip is a change of pace from the typical Thanksgiving flavors. The recipe is adapted from one on the Westbrae Organic Mellow Brown Rice Miso container. I haven't used miso much before. This paste contains brown rice, soybeans, water and salt. It can be used the way you would use soy sauce or vegetable broth, for a subtle, complex flavor. The dip is both sweet and tangy, and downright addictive. It would make a good spread for toast, but we enjoyed it with crackers and steamed broccoli. It went quickly, so I'll probably double the portion next time.

Sweet Tahini Miso Dip
makes between 1/4-1/2 cup

1/4 cup tahini (stir before measuring)
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons miso

Combine with a spoon. Refrigerate unused portion.


Super Easy Steamed Broccoli

Wash broccoli and chop into bite-sized spears. Place in a casserole dish and fill with a little water (1/4 to 1/2 inch). Cover casserole with a lid. Microwave 4-5 minutes. Pour broccoli into a strainer to drain water. Careful! The water will be very hot.

12 comments:

  1. Mmm, that dip looks so creamy and rich. Dee-licious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I don't want to see a green bean for at least a few days!

    That is broccoli steamed to perfection! What a refreshing change from all the Thanksgiving dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That dip sounds so delicious -- especially with the steamed broccoli! Might have to whip some of that up this weekend . . . !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how simple that dip recipe is! 3 ingredients? I can go for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Celine - easy & delicious = my kind of recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steamed broccoli with a yummy dip is all I need to be happy :-). But... 1/4 cup tahini? that's a lot! at least the tahini I use is pretty compact and I always use it in smaller quantities...

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm, I'm going to make that. Thanks for the steaming tip, too. And, small world, I've been following your blog for a while - no idea about the SC connection. We do love our Earth Fare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. dan is pretty much the biggest tahini fan i've met - and i love, love, love miso! this combination sounds fantastical! something we're totally going to try! so brilliant on steaming the broccoli, too! i can only eat a few pieces of raw broccoli before my mouth gets tired from all the chewing - and raw broccoli can be kinda overwhelming. thanks for the idea of using steamed instead! you're awesome, Lisa! and thanks for the dip recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks delicious. and the broccoli is SO healthy compared to the pita i would eat it up with! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tahini veggie dip sounds great, especially with the sweetness of maple syrup. That steamed broccoli is super tempting, which must mean it's time for something green.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, I've seen that recipe on the container. I love me some miso! I like to make simple miso soup with tofu for breakfast sometimes. It makes me feel all Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM! I love all things miso. Tahini and I have a tempetuous relationship, but I'm willing to give it a go if there is miso involved. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails