Monday, December 8, 2008

Sunny Rice Salad with Black Beans


The teeth rattling, bone chilling St. Louis temperature last weekend had me thinking of Mexico. Weighing obligations, counting accrued vacation hours, and dreaming of lunch under a palapa. I think I can see a peek of ocean through the fuschia bougainvillea.


Am I still in St. Louis? Sigh. Well, I don't have to eat like it's below freezing out. How about a vibrant salad? The colors of this salad are a delight. Tasty as is, it would also make a delicious wrap filling. Slather a warmed whole wheat tortilla with some bean dip or vegan cream cheese sprinkled with chili powder, add some salad, wrap, and eat. I'd rather eat it under a palapa, but for now this will have to do.

Sunny Rice Salad with Black Beans
Adapted from Food and Wine

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
2 3/4 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
about 28 grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup baby spinach, chopped
1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 handfuls cilantro, chopped
sliced scallions and lime wedges as condiments

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, turmeric, cumin, 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, and rice. Cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove bay leaf.

Combine rice with remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Garnish each serving with scallions and a lime wedge for spritzing some fresh juice.

15 comments:

  1. Hear hear Lisa, I'd rather be in Mexico too! :-) But I think your Sunny Rice salad would at least make bearing the cold better. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your sunny rice salad made me smile! i love it! it sounds fabulous, and i like the idea of using a bit in a wrap. i never would have thought of that! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! so brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes vamanos! I'm with you - I'm thinking margaritas and sunshine and that sunny salad would be perfect, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a happy looking fun salad! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That salad is so beautiful! I love all of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you can't be relaxing on a sunny beach in Mexico, this dish is the very best next thing!
    It really is so sunny and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This salad looks like a perfect cure for winter - one more I have to try! I agree, Mexico sounds pretty good right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That salad is really gorgeous! I love all of the bright, pretty colors...

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice hearty salad for a cold midwest vegan. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty dish! I could go for a warm summer day right now too! It's cold and pouring rain here right now. Blah....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let's all go to Mexico! Ooooor we'll just make this fantastic salad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa - it is so bright and sunny! I love it. I totally agree, this would make an awesome wrap filling. I wish I could find w.w. tortilla shells here. I either go with the white flour or sub a w.w. pita for a tortilla (but we both know it just isn't the same.....)

    Super yummy - as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the colors are so bright and pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, it looks SO lovely! The photo makes it very inviting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails