Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Sloppy Joe Dip and Favorite Songs of 2008


With all the parties going on this time of year, here's another appetizer recipe to consider. Going to a party where someone is sure to have one of those hell-veeta cheese product dips? Take this Sloppy Joe Dip along as a delicious and less scary alternative. Scroll down for recipe.

Not only is this the time of year for party food, but plenty of people are reflecting on 2008 and making various "Best of" lists. We like to spend New Year's Eve with friends sharing our favorite songs of the year. Below is my list, with commentary, in no particular order.

1. Sour Cherry by The Kills - Best running song I found this year.

2. I See You Baby (Fatboy Slim Remix) by Groove Armada - Yes I'm a feminist. Yes this video is objectifying. I can only say this song is my guilty pleasure this year.

3. Worrisome Heart by Melody Gardot- cool and hot all at once.

4. Top Yourself by The Raconteurs - If I could listen to only one cd from this year, this would be the one, over and over.

5. She's Gone by Langhorne Slim - NPR says folk singer with a punk rock sensibility. I have fond memories of this rockin' concert accompanied by the Dyno Family.

6. Overdue by Bitter:Sweet - this entire cd will get you through happy hour quite happily.

7. Honey Bee by Lucinda Williams - I've been waiting for this song since seeing her on Austin City Limits. Lucinda just keeps on rockin'.

8. Creepy Crawl by Be Your Own Pet- another favorite running song.

9. Something is Not Right with Me by Cold War Kids - reminds me of Talking Heads. Caught this song at the end of True Blood I think. HBO has good soundtracks, if not shows.

10. Let It Rock by Chatham County Line - we've seen these guys at Pickathon and Wood House Concerts. They bring down the house. Why aren't they famous yet?

Hope you all bring in the New Year with some good tunes and vegan food. See you in 2009!

Sloppy Joe Dip
Adapted from Food and Wine

1 1/2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 pound vegan burger crumbles
1 small red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 roasted, peeled and diced poblano pepper
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon wet yellow mustard
1 Tablespoon chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
Tofutti vegan sour cream

Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet. Saute crumbles until they begin to brown. Add onion, garlic, and poblano and saute until they soften. Add remaining ingredients except sour cream and cover with a lid. Cook over low heat about 15 minutes. Serve with chips or fritos and a dollop of vegan sour cream.

17 comments:

  1. sloppy joe dip?!?! Lisa, you're freak'n BRILLIANT! oh my gosh, this is awesome! we're totally making this for the next party we attend! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you post your recipes - some don't and only a photo of great food leaves me sad and hungry - thank you.
    And thanks for the music tips - I am of the Beatle generation (yah- the first time around)so I love direction.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the recipe! It sounds delish.

    I love to run to Sour Cherry too, it's one of my favorites =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. NEW POSTS STARTING IN 2009 on my new and improved blog:
    http://cookingforaveganlover.wordpress.com/
    until then please visit:
    http://cookingforaveganlover.blogspot.com


    that sloppy joe recipe sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dip DOES sound like a much less scary alternative than some funky "cheese like substance" laden dish.

    Brett really likes The Still, I will have to see if he has heard that song. I think they are pretty good - but to be completely honest with you, my heart belongs to instrumental music plain and simple. I can dig on some classic rock and some independent music, but jazz, bluegrass, classical guitar, Spanish guitar, those are my thing.

    Have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sloppy joes and fritos! I would crash a party for that snack! It looks so tasty! Hope you have a Happy New Year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sloppy joe dip sounds wonderful! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hell-veeta! That's funny! Your dip kicks hell-veeta's butt!!

    It's official, I live under a rock. None of those songs sound familiar to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! Have a super fabulous 2009!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know any of those songs/artists, but I have incredibly lame taste in music. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love langhorne! i saw him 3 times this year... great list and happy 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I can say is, YUM!!! I love corn chips too. I just discovered Organic corn chips!! They're by Garden of Eatin' and they're so freakin' good. Not quite as a scoop-friendly as Fritos though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a really nice idea. The dip sounds divine. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved this post! Happy happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. sloppy joe dip - LOVE that idea, looks yum.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't but love a blog that has fabulous vegan recipes, and is written by a gal with musical tastes as broad and divergent as my own! I love your selected top musical faves as much as I do your recipes - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jessy, I had my eye on this recipe for a while, and when I finally got around to it we really liked it!

    Mary, I know what you mean, I also am always happy to see recipes on blogs.

    Shelby, no way! What a coincidence.

    Lindsay I-F, look forward to checking out your new blog!

    Jennifer, I think your taste would overlap quite a bit with Don's - he likes lots of instrumental bluegrass and jazz. I prefer to sing along. :)

    Chow Vegan, thanks and happy new year!!

    Thanks Tami!

    River, I'm not surprised that my weird song picks don't sound familiar! Very few of them get radio play. And happy new year to you too!

    Mad about Udon, Happy New Year!

    Miss V, wow! He's one of my favorites too.

    Bianca, I'm going to look for those chips!

    Mihl, we do have a good time with our celebration. Happy new year to you!

    Vegan Cowgirl, hope you have a wonderful 2009!

    Thanks Sal!

    Thanks Dawne! It was fun to put the list together.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails