Monday, December 15, 2008

Roasted Garbanzos and Spanky is Home for the Howlidays


I thought this recipe for roasted garbanzos sounded interesting so I gave it a try using savory seasonings rather than sweet. Frankly, it turned out fine, but it's not at the top of my list to make again. I think if you want a snack for munching and are avoiding nuts, this is a reasonable substitute. Not bad at all, just not a "wow" recipe for me. Skip to the recipe below if you're here for the food, and let me know if you come up with a variation that you really like! And how about that crazy tiki shot glass my friends A & J brought back from Hawaii? I love it.

Now for the Home for the Howlidays Adopt-a-thon update. Saturday was a wonderful day. We placed 25 pets from the Macklind Humane Society location, with a total of 52 animals from all HSMO locations! I was so happy to meet Spanky's new family. Spanky is a pitbull mix who'd been at the shelter for a while. He was one of my favorites to walk. So well-mannered and full of love. A little on the skinny side, the shelter was working on fattening him up. Not everyone was taken with Spanky. In fact, some potential adopters found him homely. But there's a family for every dog! This nice couple approached me at the Adopt-a-thon and with certainty said, "we're interested in adopting Spanky. We saw him on the internet." After I briefly gushed about how wonderful Spanky is, and refrained from hugging them, I set them up with our Adoption Counselors to get things moving. While they were waiting for an available counselor, they went back to Spanky's kennel to visit. Sweet talk and all. And Spanky? He turned on the charm. Curled on his bed, chewing his toy with gusto, looking cute as all get out. That's my boy! Spanky found his family on Saturday. Later that night as memories of the day fluttered in my mind, I realized my heart was full. Thanks everyone for your interest in the great pets at the Humane Society!

Roasted Garbanzos
Adapted from Epicurious

1 cup dried garbanzo beans
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
salt, freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Place the beans in a container and cover with cool water. Cover container with a lid and place in refrigerator overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Drain beans and pat dry on a towel. In a bowl, combine beans with olive oil, garam masala, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Place in one layer on a cookie sheet and roast in oven for about 45 minutes, stirring several times. Add cinnamon and extra salt if needed after baking.

14 comments:

  1. I love roasted garbanzos with nutritional yeast! Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i made tamari chick peas and i also thought they were just okay. Nutritional yeast might do the trick though...

    That is an amazing number of adoptions! I rescued my dog and she also had trouble finding a home at first--due to her age and separation anxiety--but I knew she was the best dog in the world from the moment I laid eyes on her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for Spanky and all other adopted animals! That is amazing, people who choose to adopt instead of buying a pet get tons of extra karma points!

    Oh, I love the crazy tiki shot glass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to hear about Sparky! I wish I could give a home to a pup.
    (oops. I first typed a "hoe" to a pup. ahem. not quite the same meaning, I suppose.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have never even thought of roasting chickpeas. i usually just eat them out of the can. i can never keep my hands away from nuts at holiday parties!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for Spanky! And all the animals that found new homes this past weekend! So many families have so much love to give - it's great to see them matched up with a sweet animal.
    I still haven't roasted chickpeas - soybeans yes, chickpeas, no. I should try them I do suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, sounds like home for the holidays was great!

    I adore roasted chickpeas...it's a lot of fun to mix up the seasonings and see what you come up with. The only problem is I can't stop eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! hoooooooooray for so many successful adoptions! that is so awesome! and double hooooooray for Spanky & his new family! that is the best news! i'm so happy for you, Lisa! yay! we have a pit-mix, too - her name is Julie and we adopted her about 4 years ago - i wouldn't trade her for the world. pit mixes rock so hard! :D

    roasted chick peas are pretty good crunchy yummies. i hear ya on the taste - they're good, but not like "oh WOW these are GOOD!". a great crunchy snack though, and a good alternative to nuts - i agree! hey, have you ever made crunchy lentils?! oooooooh - those are really tasty, too! (i think the 28 cooks blog has a recipe for them) oh yeah, and when i make roasted chickpeas i season then with paprika, sea salt, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder! tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa,

    I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you in the Vegetarian Community on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.

    If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cooked up some dried chickpeas this weekend, but I've never tried roasting them - it sounds pretty good.

    So good to hear the adoption day went well. They get lots of pitbulls and pit mixes at the FM Humane Society here, and they're almost always such sweet, gentle dogs. It's always nice to hear one finding a good home. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too bad you were disappointed with the chickpeas, but I don't think the recipe from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan could let anyone down: You need to try Tamari-Roasted Chickpeas! They are amazing over pasta or soba noodles, on salads, or just eaten from a bowl!

    Awww, my heart goes out to Spanky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post made me cry! I am so happy for spanky and his parents! You are amazing doing the work you are doing!

    The chickers look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shelby, nooch is a great idea!

    Liz, that's great that your dog found a home with you. Sometimes the slightly older dogs are the best fit!

    River, I love the glass too!

    Celine, I think these pups do need homes more than hoes.

    Joanna, you might like these if you're a fan of nuts!

    Shelly, it really is heartwarming to see the dogs and families going home together!

    Carrie, I might try a different seasoning combo next time!

    Jessy, crunchy lentils sounds so interesting! I'll have to check it out.

    Dr. Rutledge, thanks for visiting. I'll drop you a line.

    Mike, apparently it's relatively recent that our HS adopted out pit mixes. I'm going to a class soon to learn more about the breed. They can be very affectionate.

    Ruby Red Vegan, thanks for the recipe tip! I'll give it a try.

    VeganCowgirl, Thanks! It really is a heartwarming job; the dogs are just the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love pitbulls. We have an adopted pitgirl named Maggie. She is our 2 year son's best friend. There is a picture of her on our blog on one of my posts. Yay for pitbulls. They are very loving dogs who are often misunderstood. Bless you for caring for this breed.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails