Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hearty Vegetable Soup


If you're a vegetable soup lover, you probably have a "necessary ingredient" that has got to be included. For us, it's potatoes. And tomatoes. Cabbage used to be on the list too, but more recently has been replaced by kale. This version is so hearty it's really a meal in a bowl. Outside right now, there's a dusting of snow on the car and the wind chill makes it "feel like" 19 degrees. I'm looking forward to soup leftovers for tomorrow!

Hearty Vegetable Soup
Adapted from Cooking Light

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
6 cups vegetable broth
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 carrots, thinly sliced
4 cups roughly chopped (and peeled) Yukon Gold potatoes
salt and pepper
1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
1 cup orzo (I'd reduce to 1/2 cup next time for a "soupier" version)
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion for a couple of minutes. Add garlic and saute about a minute. Add cumin and saute 30 seconds longer. Add broth through salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add kale, orzo, and beans. Simmer about 8 more minutes, or until orzo and vegetables are done. Check for seasoning.

17 comments:

  1. Ugh, I love it! It's so cold here!!! =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup is one of my favorites too! I don't have any staple ingredients though. I follow my dump and simmer recipe: dump in whatever veggies are in the fridge at the time with a little olive oil, and simmer. I usually save the runoff from steaming or boiling other veggies. It works great as a tasty veggie broth.

    Sometimes I wish my hubby liked soup. It's one of the few things I actually cook, but it the end, there's more for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fantastic! If tomorrow comes, and you find yourself in not such a soupy mood after all, feel free to package up the leftovers and send them my way. I'd have no problem taking them off your hands. I'm nice like that.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's definitely soup weather here, and this looks so good. I agree - kale is the best in a great veggie soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think mine is probably pasta. I love veggie soup with pasta! But greens are great too, like the kale in your soup...or cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love soup - every kind, really. Ok, each kind I've ever tasted. I admit to having an issue with some cold soups, but if it's hot out (and not 19f wind chill - yikes!) they're good, too. I just wish I could get my husband to eat soup like he eats pasta...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to say for us it is a toss up between beans or potatoes as to what is "required" for a good veggie soup in our household. I love the addition of the kale - yum! And I have yet to try orzo, I really should!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My must-have ingredient is onion. I don't think I have ever made a soup without onion or leeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so good right now! Yup, vegetable soup for me has to include potatoes and carrots. I like the idea of kale in soup, I haven't tried that yet. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is exactly what I need right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks so perfect for winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. your soup looks super hearty & super tasty, fo 'sho! i love it! and i love everything in it - it's perfect! mmmmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Look at all of those veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a vegetable soup lover, and my necessary ingredient is also potatoes! Veggie soup is not the same without the spuds!

    Thank you for this super comforting recipe, it's veggie soup heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  15. it's so cold today that i think i just might have to make this
    it looks hearty and warm yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Making this soup right now. So quick and easy. Soup is probably one of my favorite 'foods' ever. I adore it to bits. My necessary ingredients have to be beans, onions, and celery. Just not right without them :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Almost two years later, and this soup is still my favorite soup. Even my family begs me to make it when I come home and visit. True winner.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails