Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Brazilian Stew, this Bud's for you



I've been discussing this stew with MD for two days. (He's quite tolerant of me, obviously.) How to describe the flavors that make it so tasty? It reminds me of a pasta sauce I made as a vegetarian that included tomatoes, heavy cream, and white wine. Obviously I haven't made that recipe for a while, so I was so surprised to detect the familiar flavor and aroma in this dish!! I suppose it must be the stew's combination of tomatoes, coconut milk, and Budweiser. We're still stumped to put the flavor into words, but I can say it is fragrant, creamy, and we loved it over rice to soak up every juicy drop.

Brazilian Stew
Adapted from Cooking Light
6-8 Servings

1 teaspoon peanut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1/2 habanero pepper, minced
1 cup water
2 14.5 ounce cans organic diced tomatoes, with liquid
1 12 ounce can Budweiser
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1/2 cup tightly packed cilantro, chopped
juice from 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic about 2 minutes. Add ginger and habanero and saute about 30 seconds. Add water, tomatoes with liquid, and beer. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add peanut butter, chickpeas, and coconut milk. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Check for seasonings.

21 comments:

  1. If it's got beer & coconut milk, it's got to be good! I'll obviously have to sub the bud, but I doubt that will be too much of a problem!
    I just love your boozy recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup sounds wonderful, I am just imagining how all these flavors would pair together for a delicious soup. I am taking down the recipe for sure.

    I don't drink, but I think I am going to buy a can of beer sometime (can you even do that?) and make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this soup sounds AWESOME!!!!!!! thank you, Lisa! this would be perfect with some beer bread! omg, i need to make this! yay! thanks again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. budweiser!! genius.

    and coconut milk - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love anything Brazilian! I think you should replace the Budweiser with Antartica--their beer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's such a cool stew! and how neat to use budweiser.. hmm..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect week to showcase an AB product -- this looks yummy. Maybe beer has umami?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, you are the Queen of Booze Cooking! This sounds wonderful. I love what beer does to a stew, and since I'm a huge coconut milk and peanut butter fan, this one is going on my wish list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great tropical recipe - it must be December! The combo of peanut butter, lime juice, and coconut milk is a winner. Add beer, and what else can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm Lisa! Anything with coconut milk is a winner. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything tastes better with beer! Somehow I manage to get a bit of the taste through your words... and believe it, I like what my imagination is cooking for me! Real life is 1000 times better for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beer and coconut? brilliant! I need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a new vegan...I made this tonight and is SOOOO GOOD!! Even my non-veg roommates were hanging all over the kitchen because it smelled so good...everyone loved it!

    I added black beans along with the garbanzo beans for a little extra substance and protein...and served it over some jasmine rice.

    This is seriously some of the best soup I have ever had in my entire life, I can't wait to eat some of the leftovers tomorrow! :) Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what an interesting combination! I would have never thought of adding peanut butter

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shellyfish, you could probably make this even better with some French wine instead!

    Jennifer, you might have to buy a 40-ouncer or so or maybe some cool craft beer would come in a 24 ounce size. I'm not sure that I've seen a 12 ounce single for sale!

    Jessy, you are so right, can you send me some beer bread? :)

    Sal, they did go great together!

    Urban Vegan, I'd love to try Brazilian beer! Another must to add to my list.

    Thanks Pearl! My fave is Negro Modelo for drinking, but Bud was just right for this stew.

    Alanna, so funny. Maybe that is the unidentifiable flavor!

    Trina, thanks!

    Bianca, I kind of like that title! I think I'll share it with Celine though!

    Mike, I do think I'm in denial about the weather!

    Vegan Cowgirl, isn't coconut milk the best? I don't think I cooked with it before veganism.

    Alice, life is too short not to cook with beer. :)

    Celine, I was surprised at how much I liked the combination!

    Thanks Carrie!

    Katie, thanks so much for the feedback! I bet the black beans added great color too. So glad you liked it.

    Olga, the pb was a slacker substitution for ground peanuts, and worked out great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mouth just watered at the sight of that gorgeous picture! You had me at coconut milk!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this the other day and it was FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is a good recipe but it's not brazilian at all! in brazil we rarely use ginger, we don't have peanut oil or peanut butter, and we use malagueta instead of habanero. i didn't understand why it's called brazilian stew.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adriana, the ingredients are inspired by Brazilian flavors, particularly the West African influence - peanuts, peppers, coconut milk, and beans. No, not necessarily authentic - the Budweiser gives that away!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails