Friday, November 21, 2008

Vegan Linguine Alfredo with Broccoli


Pasta with Alfredo Sauce brings back memories of college and a restaurant in Clemson, SC, where we celebrated special occasions with this dish. It was one of the only vegetarian options on the menu. I even made it a few times in my little apartment for MD's birthday (we were vegetarians then). By the time I hit grad school, I was more of a spicy red sauce kind of pasta eater, so I'm not sure why this recipe caught my eye last week. Maybe I was out of sorts from being confronted with cold and dark at 5pm (5pm???). Maybe I wondered, does it really taste like Alfredo sauce? The recipe is from Vegetarian Times, except I didn't have portabellos so I added steamed broccoli. This was very good. Creamy, garlicky, and comforting. It doesn't taste like Alfredo to me, so if you give it a try, be ready to enjoy it for its own thing. The World's Best Tomato Pesto is still my favorite pasta sauce, but this was a fun and tasty change of pace!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe - that looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold and dark at 5pm is just wrong! You are a master broccoli steamer, it looks just perfect! I'm still struggling with steaming times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll have to check both those recipes out! thanks, Lisa. never had an alfredo sauce before - i look forward to trying it! and i've just GOTTA try the world's best tomato pesto (and i won't skimp on the oil either)! wahoooo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks amazing! i may make it for my family tonight :)
    thanks for sharing - hope we can keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks perfect...especially when it gets dark at 5pm. Nice and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear it was dark at 4:45pm here today! I *hate* this weather. This does sound like a warm me up dish for the dark and cold days, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the comments everyone!
    River, have you tried steaming in the microwave? I put the broccoli in a casserole dish and fill with a little water in the bottom. Cover with a lid and microwave for about 4-5 minutes. So quick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love alfredo, and haven't made a good vegan version yet. Thanks for the recipe link!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails