Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Tortilla Soup with Seitan and Fire Roasted Tomatoes



So much excitement with Election Day in the US! We've all been abuzz about voting and our future. How in the world to segue to food on this historic day? How about this quote from Orson Welles: "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." Today we have soup!

This soup's appearance is a little deceptive. Simmering in the pot, it doesn't look remarkable. A mostly red shade, with black flecks from the fire roasted tomatoes and some browned seitan chunks. But after taking a bite, we were hooked. Garlic, habanero, cumin, and cilantro combine for amazing flavor. I added seitan because I had some on hand, but it's optional. And a few cubes of diced avocado on top wouldn't hurt if you have one on the counter.


Tortilla Soup with Seitan and Fire Roasted Tomatoes
Adapted from Whole Foods
about 4 servings

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8 ounce package seitan, sliced into bite-sized pieces
1/2 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 habanero pepper, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
2 14.5 ounce cans organic fire roasted diced tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups water
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
tortilla chips to crumble on top of each serving

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion and seitan for about 5 minutes, until seitan browns a little. Add garlic, habanero, and cumin, and cook about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper, and water. Cover the pot and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add lemon juice and cilantro. Top each serving with tortilla chips.

15 comments:

  1. I'm wishing I had a little of that celebratory soup right now! Looks delicious, and with the rain pouring against my window, I think it's just the thing to chase the chill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE tortilla chip soup!!! My favorite part is when the chips get all soggy...mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to make this since I adore toamto soup. There's no way I will find fire roasted tomatoes here in G. Any substitution ideas? I thought about regular tomatoes ans smoked salt (Yes, also no liquid smoke).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you for making food - I couldn't do it - I was too glued to the TV, so Brett and I ordered in from a local restaurant. Sounds like you all had a great meal while watching history be made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you had me at fire roasted tomatoes. wow! that's one fine look'n soup of deliciousness! totally printing off this recipe, too! yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great collection of Southwestern flavors! Very nice.
    I watched the election results last night as well, even though I am from Canada, and I have to say I was extremely impressed with both the results and the speech. Somehow I am reminded of both Kennedy and Dr. King.
    Anyway, I got some cooking done too: baked salmon and cornbread were on my menu last night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mihl, the regular tomatoes and smoked salt are a good idea. Sorry you don't have access to the smoky ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh that soup looks scrumptious! And WHOO HOO for Mr. Obama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love that quote! This soup does look remarkably tomato-y and good to me! I love the contrast with the purple background!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks amazing! i completely agree with orson welles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yesh. that would hit the spot tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so good and yummy-looking! I love the beautiful red color! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll make this with normal tomatoes (no fire roasted here). It's like a Mexican tomato soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fire roasted tomatoes are the food of the gods. And I love the way tortillas get all soggy and thick in soup. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looking soup - those ingredients sound great together, and I realize I need to make some Mexican food again. I'm feeling SO good about the election too, something I haven't said in a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails