Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thai One On Supper Club


We're hosting our neighborhood Supper Club next week, and the theme is Thai One On. We're expecting about 12 for dinner. Sometimes our group is as large as 16. We get together about once a month, and the couple who hosts chooses a theme. Everyone brings a dish. Oh, and there's always plenty of wine and cocktails. Past themes have included French, Italian, Wrong Side of the Tracks, 70's (in honor of someone's birthday- no she didn't turn 70, she was born in the 70's!), Latin, Hawaiian, and Breakfast for Dinner (everyone wore pajamas for this one). I'm the only vegan in the group, so I always bring a substantial dish to share rather than something like dessert. Several of our friends have talked to me about what vegan means and are very considerate about bringing vegan dishes. In fact, last time my plate was full of tasty food.

For Thai One On, we plan to make this Red Curry with Winter Vegetables and Cashews from Real Vegetarian Thai. I'm still trying to figure out how to make and serve jasmine rice for 12. A friend at work says he'll loan me his rice maker, so that might be the easiest strategy. Anyway, this curry tastes great, but my choice of vegetables (sweet potatoes and carrots) resulted in a monochromatic orange. I think I'll change the vegetables for Supper Club to include red and green bell peppers for contrast. Any other suggestions? The curry also includes seitan, which I think is a good choice for non-vegans, who might be less open to tofu or tempeh.

The other dish we'll make is Vegan Planet's Noodle Salad with Spicy Peanut Sauce. Guests are rounding out the menu with a Thai Green Salad with Ginger Dressing, Spring Rolls, and an appetizer to be determined. We're covering dessert, which will be a vegan cake with bananas and pineapple from SweetArt! I am so excited for their shop to open, and you can also place orders beforehand over the internet.

I'm eyeing this Thai Mango Passion Cocktail for the occasion. What do you think? The sparkling white wine should provide a festive touch.

16 comments:

  1. Wow--you are my new go-to person for St. Louis food news! So does this mean that they're regularly going to have vegan baked goods? Or will those need to be special orders?

    Heading out to Chesterfield to try the new deli now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to be in your supper club! that sounds like so much fun. barely anyone in my neighborhood knows each other at all. i love the addition of cashews in the curry. cashews are my favorite nut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm envious of your supper club! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lots of green onions and cilantro in Thai curries -- great flavor AND pretty shots of green throughout the dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Supper Club sounds so fabulous! I love the Breakfast for Dinner theme with everyone wearing pajamas!

    Bell peppers would look GREAT on your curry dish! And the cocktail you linked to looks perfectly colorful and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions everyone!
    Stephanie, I think vegan offerings will be regular at the shop, but am not sure. She also plans to offer some vegetarian and vegan savory/lunch items eventually!Let me know how you like the deli.

    Catherine, great ideas for more color. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I love it! I think I am going to have to suggest this idea to some of my work mates. Love it.

    The menu sounds amazing...good luck with the rice. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. supper club sounds... super! hehe. I made butternut squash curry soup today, and it looked a lot like your curry! It could have used some cashews though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I say this each time you mention the Supper Club, but I so wish I had something like that going here! With what you're planning...I would SO LOVE to be in attendance.
    Thanks for the love you left me on my foot post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh -- cooking dinner for 12 to 16 people?! Wow, that has got to be stressful! Everything you've chosen to serve sounds wonderful, though! Cashews are the best. There's been a good Red Curry Seitan circulating around our 2 Whole Foods locations' hot bar lines. Yum, that's what your entree description reminds me of.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you have a blast! Cooking for other people is sooo much fun... it's like doing an experiment on a bunch of lab rats. Vegan style.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think the red and green bell peppers will definitely add some color, but i kinda like it how it is now! :) you could always dice up the peppers so so so so small - and kind of garnish the dish with them if you like. i agree on the seitan - the texture of tofu really throws some people off, and a lot of omnis find tempeh a bit too bitter. your cake sounds delightful! and i love the cocktail - it sounds soooo tasty! have fun, take lots of photos, and report back! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. that sounds so tasty! what a great idea, the dinner parties sound like SO MUCH FUN. but it must be difficult being the only vegan...!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the last time I had friends over for Thai food I made a cashew salad/starter that was really good, you just fry raw cashews in oil with garlic, soy sauce, and then add cilantro and thai limes leaves. It was super

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vegadeli in Chesterfield report: The McVegan sandwich is McAwesome. As is the chai. (We were in breakfast mode.) We also bought some yummy chocolate chip muffins and a fantastic hummus sandwich. Everything was damn good. I wish it were closer to the city.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stephanie, thanks for the report. I'm thrilled there's a vegan deli around, but what a drive to get there! I wish it were in the City too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails