Monday, November 24, 2008

Sweet Potatoes and (Wild) Turkey


I challenged myself to try a typical Thanksgiving recipe. For some reason, I'm usually out of sync with holiday foods. I find myself blogging about Jamaican food on July 4th. Cinco de Mayo burgers in June. So I decided to try to cook something in tune with this holiday. I like sweet potatoes, don't I? But, um, how about with Wild Turkey. This dish will not satisfy the person looking for the more dessert-like casserole. But if you like sweet potatoes and whiskey, I don't think you'll have any complaints. Especially if you eat these the next day, after the flavors really have a chance to get friendly.

I couldn't stop there, of course, and liked this dish even more in quesadillas. Okay, maybe not so "typical," but who can argue with Wild Turkey and chipotle quesadillas? I'll be back tomorrow with the quesadilla recipe, and some tips for having a happy vegan Thanksgiving.

Sweet Potatoes and (Wild) Turkey
adapted from Sunset

2 shots (3 ounces) Wild Turkey bourbon, divided
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 Tablespoons softened Earth Balance buttery sticks, divided, plus extra to coat casserole dish
pinch of salt
chopped pecans to garnish

Pour 1 shot of bourbon over chopped apricots in a bowl and allow to soak about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Microwave sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes according to A Veggie Venture's instructions. Peel when cool enough to handle. Place in a bowl and add maple syrup, cloves, remaining shot of Wild Turkey, 1 Tablespoon of Earth Balance, and salt. Mash with potato masher. Stir in apricots with Wild Turkey. Lightly coat a casserole dish with Earth Balance. Spread sweet potato mixture in dish, top with pecans, and dot with remaining tablespoon of Earth Balance. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until heated through.

13 comments:

  1. I can't even express how delicious that sounds!! Another sweet potato recipe for me to try--yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how good this tastes just by looking at the ingredients - wow! Cheers for working Wild Turkey into a thanksgiving recipe - brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's so cool that you managed to use Wild Turkey for a Thanksgiving -ish dish! It sounds so good (quesadillas!), too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, it almost looks like a scoop of sweet potato ice cream! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes! bourbon makes the world go round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! i love sweet potatoes and whiskey! yay! :) thanks for the recipe, Lisa! and i can't wait to see the quesadillas! superexcitedface!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy delicious!

    You had me at "sweet potatoes & whiskey!"

    Drool...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome..I love the idea of using 'wild turkey'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet potato anything is awesome in my book! This really would be great in a quesadilla, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of a post Thanksgiving quesadilla! And your sweet potatoes look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds positively delicious!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails