Friday, November 7, 2008

Sun-dried Tomato Tapenade with Kalamata and Green Olives


This tapenade makes a flavorful, light spread for crostini or crackers. It's a nice option when you want an appetizer that isn't based on beans for variety's sake. We also combined this with bowtie pasta, steamed broccoli, additional olive oil, and vegan parm for a simple dinner.

Sun-dried Tomato Tapenade with Kalamata and Green Olives
Adapted from Cooking Light

2 cups boiling water
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
several shakes crushed red pepper
2 Tablespoons dried basil
juice from 1/2 lemon (add a little at a time until desired tartness)
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
toasted pinenuts and sliced green olives to garnish

Pour boiling water over tomatoes and cover for about 15 minutes, until soft. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the tomato water. Combine tomatoes, water, kalamata olives, crushed red pepper, basil, lemon juice, and garlic in food processor until coarsely chopped. Stir in oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if necessary. Sprinkle with toasted pinenuts and green olives. Spread on crostini.

19 comments:

  1. mmmm, tapenade! I have never made it, but it sounds so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love tapenade! This recipe sounds so easy & delicious - I was just wondering what to serve for the apéro tonight...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that looks incredible I will have to try it for my next cocktail party

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dip sounds like a very nice change-up from a bean based appetizer! I love the combination of flavors too, I can imagine it being incredibly tasty on crusty bread, or even on pasta as you all had it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMmmmMMMm. that looks like the perfect thing to go with crispy bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've never had tapenade, Lisa! i think i need to change this - immediately! it sounds so delicious - and i super love, love, love olives! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Olives + sundried tomatoes = awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh this tapenade looks so good! The thought of it spread on that awesome looking bread is making me hyperventilate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My jaw dropped when I saw the picture...I adore anything with sun-dried tomatoes...and look at that beautiful baguette!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this sounds like some of the best tapenade. olives and sun-dried tomatoes - two of my faves! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, the recipes look very tantalizing and the pictures are stunning. It's almost enough to convert us meat eaters! ;-) Shawn and I will definitely give many of these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. www.vegifide.com (lots of us are from STL)

    &
    http://www.myspace.com/stlveggies st louis veg'n meetup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds so tart and tangy, with the lemon and olives and pepper. You can never go wrong with sun-dried tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. MMMMM. I should catch up on my blogroll when I'm hungry. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum yum, tapenade. Looks like a great party favour!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cannot keep myself from eyeing the baguette on the side. bread! with tapenade! just what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Although the tapenade sounds good, I could really go for that bread! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this sounds delicious. i'm a big sun dried tomato fan. i like them better than regular tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have some sun dried tomatoes that I would love to turn into this wonderful dish.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails