Monday, November 10, 2008

Kale with Soyrizo and Great Northern Beans


It got to be Sunday afternoon (where does the weekend go?) and I realized I hadn't had my soyrizo fix for the weekend. Hence, this delicious kale, soyrizo, and white bean dish. The kale is simmered in a garlicky vegetable broth, and the slightly sweet, fresh grape tomatoes add a colorful note. You can sprinkle on some lemon juice or vinegar to finish if you like.

Kale with Soyrizo and Great Northern Beans

Adapted from Epicurious

4 ounces soyrizo
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
3 cloved garlic, chopped
1 bunch kale, washed, stems discarded, and cut into strips
1 cup vegetable broth
1 can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
grape tomatoes, halved
salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet, brown soyrizo over medium heat. Add olive oil to skillet, and when warmed, add onion and garlic. Saute about 1 minute. Add kale and use tongs to combine with olive oil. You can add a little at a time until wilted enough to fit it all in the skillet. Add vegetable broth, cover, and simmer for about 8 minutes, or until kale is tender. Add beans and simmer uncovered until warmed, a couple of minutes. Top each serving with halved grape tomatoes. Add salt and pepper if desired.

16 comments:

  1. Kale! I love it, and I love the flavor combination of this dish. Are Great Northerns like Butter Beans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelby, Great Northern beans are more like navy beans, or are sometimes compared to pintos or kidney beans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love dishes that combine sausagey things, white beans, and kale!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a super yummy way to eat kale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great combination of ingredients, it looks super good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this reminds me that i need to check out some soyrizo! that is a glorious combination of excellence on that plate, Lisa! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! the grape tomatoes really make it pop - i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm...simple and delicious! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The vibrant green and bright red combo is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love both soyrizo and kale, so I definitely have to make this. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think you and i could have a great dinner party together...we love all the same foods! kale and soyrizo are both staples of mine, but i've never eaten them in the same dish. i always wind up cooking my soyrizo for breakfast for some reason. this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I wish I could get some kale! That plate is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love kale so very much. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't use soyrizo often enough...in fact, I've never even purchased it myself. I had some at a friend's house and it was awesome...you remind me that I need to buy some.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm looking forward to eating kale again, since it's been collards and spinach all summer. I need to try soyrizo too - looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this reminds me I have some soyrizo tapping its foot impatiently for me to use it, in the fridge. I like the way you used yours!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails