Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Chipotle Bourbon Sweet Potato Quesadillas and Thanksgiving Tips for Vegans



As promised, Thanksgiving quesadillas! While sweet potato casserole is nice, making spicy quesadillas out of it is even better.

What are your plans for Thanksgiving? We're getting ready for our cross country trip to visit family, and I can't help but recall my trip home from college for Thanksgiving, ahem, a while back, when I first became vegetarian. (Which is probably why I had Fettucine Alfredo on the brain earlier, reflecting on our college days! So weird how the brain works.) I became vegetarian about a week before Thanksgiving that year, and read excerpts from Animal Liberation to MD during the drive home for the holiday. Once again, I'm faced with a significant first at Thanksgiving, this year being my first vegan Thanksgiving. Luckily, my family is supportive and doesn't make my diet a source of debate.

However, holidays can be stressful for vegans for a variety of reasons. The links below offer recipes, support, and advice for a happy vegan Thanksgiving or eating with non-vegans. Thanks to The Vegan Treehouse for a couple of these links, a blog I visit regularly for vegan news, humor, and Austin dining info. (You gotta check out Stella's post with the Erykah Badu video!)

A Recipe for a Family Fight

A Vegetarian Thanksgiving

10 Survival Tips and Tactics for Eating Veg in a Non-Veg World

Guide to a Vegan Vanguard Thanksgiving, Part 1



Chipotle Bourbon Sweet Potato Quesadillas

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup corn kernels
2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder (or 1 tsp if you prefer milder)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes with Wild Turkey
1/4 teaspoon salt
whole wheat tortillas
olive oil in a mister or cooking spray

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion for about 4 minutes. Add garlic, corn, and chipotle powder. Saute about 1 minute. Add beans, broth, sweet potato mixture, and salt. Combine, mashing the beans a little to mix well. Cook until heated through.

Take a tortilla and spritz both sides with olive oil or cooking spray. Spread enough sweet potato mixture to your liking on half of the tortilla and place in skillet over medium heat. Warm until tortilla is soft enough to fold over in half. Continue cooking, flipping periodically, until heated through and browned on both sides.

Now that's how to enjoy Wild Turkey at Thanksgiving! If you celebrate the holiday, hope you have a great one. Spend some time with positive people and your dogs and cats. See you back here after December 1st.

22 comments:

  1. Those quesadillas look delicious. I love quesadillas and it's rare to find one at restaurants that are vegan. I'll have to give this one a shot.

    We've been sick all month so we've decided not to take our Thanksgiving trip. We'll hide at home and try to get well. I've decided to make a pizza crust and I have the seasons last tomatoes to make some local, homemade tomato sauce. My hubby will have cheese on his portion and I'm vegan so I'll go without cheese on my part. I'm actually looking forward to a quiet, drama free holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa you have seriously outdone yourself this time, the quesadillas look absolutely amazing. What a wonderful combination of flavors, I am definitely taking down this recipe.

    We are just traveling an hour or so south of here to see my mom for Thanksgiving. I am going to be taking over her kitchen to make a few things, so it should be a lot of fun and pretty laid back.

    I hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

    (Aw Heather, I hope you feel better by the way. And enjoy your pizzas! I'm still jealous of the crust by the way, oh, and the homemade sauce too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. jennifer - Thanks! This latest round of a cold isn't as bad as the first, but we thought it would be a good idea to stay put and get over it once and for all.

    Unfortunately we don't have another one of those pizza crusts from the market (it was awesome!), but I'm taking this opportunity to make your spelt flour crust. I'll let you know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. I knew your quesadillas would be out of this world! Thanks for the cool links!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy - those quesadillas look fantastic...the words chipotle and bourbon seem so right together. I'm making something for thanksgiving back home, and getting ready to answer the "why aren't you eating turkey" questions. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen a lot of recipes involving bourbon lately, color me way pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those quesadillas look great! send me one! and thanks for the tips, we don't have thanksgiving, but this will be my first vegan Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at "chipotle" and then I fell in love at the mention of "bourbon." And well, "sweet potato" really seals the deal. I AM SO MAKING THESE! I have a million pound box of sweet taters in my pantry waiting to be used....you rock!

    Have belated vegeversary! I went veg and then vegan several years later on the day after Thanksgiving. It's a good time for thinking about your food choices and how they affect innocent animals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, nice blog!
    I love Thanksgiving day very much. I found a site with a lot of things about Thanksgiving. Maybe this will interest you: All about Thanskgiving Day!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. those quesadillas look AWESOME. i freaking love quesadillas and never get to eat them.

    gearing up to cook a big thanksgiving dinner for my parents. we are having a celebration roast, nothing TOO exciting. :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quesadilla looks awesome!!

    This was my first Tday as a vegan too (only I'm in Canada so our's was last month). I did all of the cooking at our place but my omni guests seemed to like everything so yay! Sound like you have a supportive family, that makes everything so much easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Thanksgiving!

    Those quesadillas look so good I almost tried to eat the computer. Seriously...I have been craving mexicanish food like no one's business. I am all over this as soon as I get home on Sunday night!! I thank you, and the baby thanks you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to hear how your first vegan thanksgiving went! I'm sure it was a success!
    These quesadillas...can I just say you're too damn classy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the quesadillas look soooo good. Anything with sweet potato AND sweetcorn in is a winner in my book. Two of my favourite veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I'll have to try these quesadillers soon. They look like a great college person dinner.
    Yay for a first vegan TG! This is my second. We're both lucky we have families who don't put up a big fuss about the vegan thing. Hope you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Plese stop killing me with your delicious food! I wish you moved over to open a Restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great guide not just for vegans, but for everyone! We should all take time out and eat vegan. The world would be a better place.

    Great quesadillas! The bourbon and chipotle has me already!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heather, a quiet holiday at home sounds really nice!

    Jennifer, thank you! I hope you had a great holiday.

    River, you're always so sweet! Thanks for the comment.

    Mike, I think we vegans can never have enough tips for answering the diet questions! Hope your holiday was a good one.

    Celine, bourbon and winter just seem to go together!

    Alice, here's to first vegan holidays!

    Bianca, what a coincidence! I guess Thanksgiving does get a lot of us thinking about our food.

    Tami and Foxy Lady, thank you!

    Quarrygirl, I probably should come up with another name instead of quesadillas since these have no cheese! Oh well, I love them too.

    Carrie, I'm glad to hear your meal was a success last month! I love spreading good PR about veganism.

    Vegan Cowgirl, my pleasure- anything to please the mini-feminist!:)

    Shellyfish, thanks so much! The holiday was a nice one. Hope yours was too!

    Sal, you're right, those do go great together!

    Ruby Red Vegan, I enjoyed reading about your holiday! It was awesome that you took a great plate of food to the restaurant instead of picking at iceberg lettuce or something.

    Mihl, thank you, you're so kind!

    White on Rice Couple, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I would have found your blog before I got rid of my leftover sweet potato casserole! Great post, I'll try this asap!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those look great! I love sweet potato quesadillas but I never tried them with bourbon before.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i just found this this week while looking for a vegan squash quesadilla recipe. i usually make squash&cheese quesadillas at home for my family, but i was cooking for a crowd of 34 with a number of vegans and dairy-allergic and wanted something fun for them, too, but this looked so good i made it for everyone! lots of compliments and requests for the recipe, so i'm sending your link around. we did it with half sweet potato and half butternut squash and that turned out great, too. best condiment for it was a pineapple salsa. i ended up multiplying the recipe times 13! and that was for less than the full 34, because a dozen of those were children, and i did make some cheese quesadillas for them - the chipotle ended up a little spicy for them, but with the heat turned down, it would be pretty kid-friendly, too... well, maybe minus some bourbon ;)

    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails