Tuesday, October 28, 2008

VeganMoFo:Tofu in Spicy Red Curry Coconut Sauce


My honey recently hinted around that there's been a dearth of Thai-inspired dishes on our table of late. I believe he shook the Sriracha bottle while looking both endearing and hopeful. In the aftermath of Halloween party preparation, we finally got around to having something for dinner beyond carry out or Boca chik'n patties. This dish said to us, welcome back to a home cooked meal! It's simple to put together, just needing some chopping and a little time for the rice to cook. The jasmine rice soaked up the crimson coconut sauce for a consistency similar to risotto. Yeah, baby. The baby 'bellas and red pepper strips lent some substance, and the cilantro added fragrance and a beautiful green accent. This dish sent me into repetitive mode. Do you ever get this way? Me: "This is soooo good." A little later, me again: "That was really good." And later still, "Man, that was good." Obviously, a keeper recipe.

Tofu in Spicy Red Curry Coconut Sauce
Adapted from Cooking Light

1 package extra firm tofu
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 red bell pepper, sliced into bite-sized pieces
2 cups sliced baby 'bella mushrooms
1 cup sliced scallions
1 heaping Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
1 Tablespoon vegan red curry paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 14 ounce can light coconut milk
1 large handful cilantro, chopped
1 cup jasmine rice, cooked according to package
Sriracha and salt, to taste

Press the tofu for about 20 minutes, then cut into small cubes.

Cook the jasmine rice according to package.

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute mushrooms and bell pepper until they become tender, 8 minutes or so. Add scallions, ginger, and garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add Bragg's, red curry paste, coconut milk, and salt. Bring to a simmer, then cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add cilantro. Serve over jasmine rice with Sriracha and salt to taste.


9 comments:

  1. Mmm this looks right up my ally, anything thai and with sriracha u can not go wrong! Love all your conversation comments that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea baby! It looks so deliciously fancy!
    I toot my own horn when I make something that is really good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. this also LOOKS super good. sounds like a keeper, most def'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, spicy Thai food! I bet it DID feel good to have this after being too busy to cook for a few days. I bet this would be really good with beans in place of the tofu (for the tofu averse such as myself), I am loving the addition of the mushrooms and peppers, I bet that added some bite to the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I please tell you how excited I am that you posted this recipe?!?! I just bought red curry paste, tofu, and coconut milk. Ah! I'm so excited to try this. I love Thai tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhhhh! oh my goodness - this dish couldn't sound any more awesome! wahoooooooo! thanks, Lisa! printing off the recipe now! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spicy red curry coconut? I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! Have some curry sauce I've been wantin' to use, just needed some inspiration! Fantastic! ...now I'm hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is like one of my very favourite meals...or at least it has my favourite things in it! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails