Tuesday, October 21, 2008

VeganMoFo: Soyrizo and Zucchini Tacos, Bayless Style


We would like to have dinner with the Obamas. I can see us now, chatting about what to name their future adopted shelter dog, social issues, and Rick Bayless's delicious food. Yep, NPR says they enjoy dining at one of Rick Bayless's restaurants in Chicago. While we haven't dined there, we do love the recipes in Mexican Everyday, and the NPR feature caused me to fix these quick and flavorful tacos from that cookbook. The book isn't vegan, but Bayless includes many vegetarian/veganizable variations, and even a new vegan cook like me finds the recipes easily adaptable. And the photos are gorgeous. This recipe is one of our favorites, involving soyrizo instead of chorizo, and mushrooms and zucchini in a chipotle-spiked crushed tomato sauce. Ever get stuck on a single recipe in a cookbook? Seems like I almost always make this one from Mexican Everyday. But I haven't regretted branching out, since the Creamy Avocado Dressing is amazing too.

15 comments:

  1. If there's such thing as a "Best Taco Ever Award", or "Best in Show Taco", this one wins is hands down!
    YAY for Obama adopting a shelter dog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna have dinner with YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooohhh . . . "Creamy Avocado Dressing" just sounds incredible!

    I've always had the impression that Rick Bayless was more forward-thinking than other celebrity chefs . . . good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh what a great looking mexican meal. And I think all Obama supporting vegan bloggys deserve dinner with the Obamas! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great timing, I got some soyrizo in the fridge that I was wondering what to do with. The tacos look awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanna have dinner with you AND Mihl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really craving some tacos now!! Its been so long since I had one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to have dinner with the Obamas. I bet Barack would even try the vegan food...you know McCain would just snarl his nose up and say something about how he has to have meat to survive...jerkwad. Also, I'd forgotten about Obama adopting the shelter dog.

    That just makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The NPR story on Bayless and the Obamas was right up my alley - I didn't know they adopted a shelter dog. Not that I had a problem deciding, but another good reason to vote for him. That's awesome, and the tacos look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmm. those tacos look sooo good. how do i get in touch with you? i want to invite you to Pesto Festo! all the food will be veg, and a lot of it will be vegan! now how often do you get to go to a local foods feast that benefits an organic farming org in st.louis AND that is all-veg?! www.pestofesto.org
    Hope you can make it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never made on of Rick Bayless' recipes, but I really like his show on PBS.

    These are some great looking tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum! creamy avocado dressing sounds great ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. All parts of this post are excellent! Obama, dog shelters, and Rick Bayless! And your tacos, obviously.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails