Wednesday, October 22, 2008

VeganMoFo: Refried Black Beans



I call these slacker refried beans, due to how quick and easy they are to make. But slack in the flavor department they do not. They are soo smoky, spicy, and good! I make them exactly according to the Vegetarian Times recipe. The chipotle chile powder is a must, and the broth lends depth and a creamy texture. Wrap these up in a whole wheat tortilla with rice and guacamole for a restaurant-quality burrito. Or eat them as is with any Mexican meal, since they taste so good they can stand alone.

You might wonder what the beans are sitting on. We've collected various cheesy costume prizes for our Halloween party, including skull-emblazoned whoopee cushions. Considering the "musical fruit" reputation of beans, I couldn't resist.

14 comments:

  1. HELL YEAH!!!
    These look darn good. I love me some Refried Beans
    PAAAARP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, refried black beans! It has been too long since I've made them. I might have to whip some up pretty soon. I'm going to check out this recipe you followed. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is hilarious! Whoopee cushions! The refried beans look so delish, totally worth the musical side effects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. those look so good. i love refried beans, but i always just eat them out of the can. i should look into those vegetarian times recipes. so tasty and FREE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh those look so amazing! I love refried beans...

    ReplyDelete
  6. the whoopee cushion is awesome! i totally laughed out loud on that one! ahahaha! yay!

    and hooray for the link to the re-fried beans recipe. dan and i are a bit paranoid when it comes to canned food, so we won't buy refried beans - but now we've got a good recipe we can use to make them with dried beans. hooray! thanks, Lisa! perhaps i'll finally get off my lazy bum and make a mexican layer dish of deliciousness! superw00t!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey are you interested in participating in a vegan care package swap? more info on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. You all are very tolerant of my juvenile sense of humor! And we love these beans, hope you do too if you try them out.

    Lindsay, access to your blog isn't enabled, but if you leave me the url I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I've got a can of black beans in my cabinet just waiting for this refried treatment!

    Where did you find that whoopy cushion? I really want to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz, i found it at Target in the section where everything is $1. We spare no expense for nice costume prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to make those! I have 6 big fat ripe Haas avocados waiting to be wrapped up with those beans.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Refried beans are a staple of life. Those look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to try refried beans! Yours look awesoem! I tagged you to show your freezer!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails