Thursday, October 30, 2008

VeganMoFo: Potatoes and Seitan with Couscous


This dish made me realize I should make couscous way more often. Super quick and easy! However, couscous is not the star here; I loved the potatoes. They are quickly boiled using a technique from The Grit cookbook, then sauteed with seitan, broccoli, mushrooms, garlic, and chili powder. Top it off with a spoon of salsa, and you are ready for supper.

Potatoes and Seitan with Couscous
1 pound potatoes, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 small bunch broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 handful sliced mushrooms
1 8 ounce package seitan, chopped
3 to 4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tablespoon chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup whole wheat couscous
salsa, optional condiment

Place potatoes in a saucepan and add cold water until covered by an inch. Add about 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 6 minutes, or until tender when tested with a knife. Drain.

Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Saute potatoes, onion, broccoli, mushrooms, and seitan for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In the meantime, cook couscous according to package directions.

Add garlic, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste to potato mixture. Saute about 1 minute more. Test vegetables to make sure they are done to your liking.

Serve potato mixture atop couscous. Top with salsa, optional.

11 comments:

  1. This dish is really speaking to me! I get bored with couscous sometimes and this is an awesome idea to get some variety! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, the past 3 dishes you have posted look amazing! I'd eat any of them in a heartbeat. YUMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea why I don't fix couscous more often either!! Your dinner looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love The Grit cookbook! Have you ever been to the actual restaurant? Sooooooo gooood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couscous, seitan, and potatoes? Yes please! Couscous is one of my favourite "in a hurry" standbyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of The Grit cookbook, but I have a feeling it's going on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you make me realize I have a tendency to forget about couscous too. what a delish looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hooray for happy couscous! i love it so much! this dish looks stellar, Lisa! i am loving the broccoli, the potatoes - all of it! mmmmmmm! i'm going to try that technique for potatoes, too! thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

    Liz, unfortunately I haven't been to The Grit restaurant, but would love to sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. those are all my favorite things on ONE PLATE. i am so freaking hungry now. someday i am gonna get off my lazy bum and cook one of these recipes. for now, i'm just droolin though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmmm....this looks yummy. i love couscous and love love love potatoes. i will try making this when i get back to the u.s.!
    -lori's vegan niece :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails