Thursday, October 16, 2008

VeganMoFo: Lentil and Vegetable Soup


Cooler temperatures are on the way for St. Louis, so it's the time of year when I like to make a batch of soup or chili every week. I came home from the Humane Society happy and tired last Sunday after a morning of walking the dogs, and this soup really hit the spot. The recipe has a delicious tomato broth base, very hydrating and flavorful. The lentils and chickpeas add substance, with an unexpected twist from the cinnamon and ginger. The yellow bell pepper chunks provide little bursts of color. This soup was so tasty, but next time I'll increase the spices for even more flavor.

We are halfway through the Vegan Month of Food! If you are coming a little late to the party and wonder what in the world VeganMoFo is, bloggers are writing about vegan food every weekday for the month of October. Here's my intro post for VeganMoFo which links to the PPK's listing of participants. Check them out for plenty of great vegan food inspiration.

Lentil and Vegetable Soup
Adapted from Food and Wine

2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 small onions, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 3/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup lentils
6 1/2 cups water
15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped

In a large pot, saute onions, bell pepper, and celery in olive oil over medium heat for about 8 minutes. Reduce heat if necessary to prevent them from browning too much. Add the garlic and saute for a minute or so. Add ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and lentils. Stir to mix. Add water and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Partially cover the pot, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes until lentils are tender. Add chickpeas and cook for about 5 minutes. Add cilantro and serve.

16 comments:

  1. this looks great, and just perfect for the cooler weather! i love the addition of chick peas & bell peppers - it sounds so awesome, Lisa! hooray! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the unique seasoning in this soup. Not to mention it looks gorgeous, and on this chilly Mid-Missouri day, this would really hit the spot. Luckily I have homemade chili for lunch. Anyways, I am definitely taking down this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Sounds so warm and comforting on a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos always brighten my day - they are just so beautiful!
    I'm so happy for soup weather...makes these early nightfalls and no sunshine days easier to handle...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a yummy and substantial looking soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not normally vegetarian, let alone vegan, but when I do decide to go veg for a while I make sure to include lentils.
    I like to add a bit of brown rice too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I love lentil soup. It is almost that time of year when you have to make soup/stew all the time, nice, warm and comforting for the body.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This look seriously good. I love tomato broth type veggie soups.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love finding new, tasty ways to serve up lentils! Thanks! This will definitely be something I try soon. I have a big can of lentils just sitting in my pantry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That soup is the kind of soup that would melt a snowman into a little kid, like in the Campbell ads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm, this looks pretty low-fat too. I love soup!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lentils in soup are my favorite. yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a very soul-soothing soup, mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's soup weather here too - the cinnamon and ginger and other spices make this soup sound really nummy. This looks like a good use for the leftover lentils in the fridge right now - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails