Monday, October 6, 2008

VeganMoFo: Green Zebra Tomatoes



Being vegan means discovering new ingredients for many of us. And sometimes these ingredients are as pretty on your counter as they are delicious in a new recipe.

Take these green zebra tomatoes, for example. I spotted them at Local Harvest Grocery and couldn't resist purchasing a few based on appearance alone. They are about the size of an apricot, and have a pale green skin with lime green stripes. Apparently when ripe, the pale part turns yellow. They taste tarter than standard tomatoes, and these were very firm to the touch as well.

I let them sit around a few days to ripen, but finally became impatient and decided to cook them up in a dish rather than waiting to eat them raw after they ripened. It was fun to try a new food with such visual interest. I'll share the recipe tomorrow. For those of you who've already tried these, I'm interested to hear how you prepared them!

14 comments:

  1. Whoa! Funky looking things! I've never seen these before. Can't wait to see what you made with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I#ve never seen such beautiful tomatoes! Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what beautiful tomatoes! i can't wait to see what you did with them! yay! and yes, being vegan means discovering new ingredients, indeed! i never enjoyed such a wide variety of absolute yumminess before becoming vegan - i love it the most!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh for the Jewish Holiday last week I got PICKLED green tomatoes. They were sooo good. I want to find a recipe to recreate those and all their salty, vinegary goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cooking green zebras is a criminal act!!!

    these are most suited for tomato salads.

    a friend grows them and they are beyond delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are absolutely beautiful. I love coming across unusual, thoughtfully grown, or just plain lovely produce. It makes the meal that much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of these tomatoes, but they are truly beautiful! Looking forward to seeing how you use them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. some times I don't want to eat them because they are too pretty but I know if I don't they will just go bad which is sad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, thanks for all the interesting comments! I'm off to check out what you're cooking up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow these are some great looking tomatoes! Since becoming vegan I have tried so many new things. Being Vegan is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, beautiful looking tomatoes! Can't wait to see what you did with them.

    I've tried them before but I didn't do anything special to them, just threw the green tomatoes in with the red.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so beautiful! I want a big boquet of these rather than flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. every time I see the word "zebra", I think of Starsky & Hutch. I'm a weirdo like that.
    [it's what they say on the dispatch thing in the American version too, right?]
    your tomatoes are making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Celine, you have a great memory. I used to watch S&H too but can't recall the zebra reference! I'll take your word for it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails