Wednesday, October 1, 2008

VeganMoFo Day 1: Tofu Scramble, Gateway to Veganism

October is the Vegan Month of Food, y'all! VeganMoFo bloggers will write, eat, sleep, and breathe vegan food for the month. Check out the Post Punk Kitchen for details so you can follow all the fun.

First up at Show Me Vegan is tofu scramble. This dish holds a special place in my heart. If St. Louis is the Gateway to the West, for me, tofu scramble was the Gateway to Veganism.





When I was considering veganism, I wanted a replacement for our Saturday morning breakfast burrito. The burrito had become a ritual that said to us, "woo-hoo, the weekend's here!" Tofu scramble fit the bill, chock full of vegetables, spices, and perfect for stuffing a burrito.

Pretty much any Saturday, you can find us enjoying the Vegan with a Vengeance tofu scramble recipe. I've mentioned that we like to add baby spinach and soyrizo. It's delicious sprinkled with jalapenos, wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla, and dressed with salsa or avocado.

I'd love to hear if you also have a recipe that was your "gateway to veganism". Maybe a dish that replaced a non-vegan one that you were attached to for some reason.

Last year's VeganMoFo gave me plenty of tips and motivation for becoming vegan. Time to see what inspiration other VeganMoFo'ers are bringing to the party!

12 comments:

  1. Happy MoFo! Vegan breakfast burritos are quite yummy, too - tofu scramble, potatoes, beans, salsa, and veggies. Yum!

    I can't think of one specific dish that was my gateway to veganism, but I know when I discovered that I could still have ice cream (albeit in non-dairy form), I was all set. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a tasty look'n scramble, Lisa! i like the idea of baby spinach and soyrizo! mmmmmmm! especially with some jalapenos on top! yay!

    hooray for veganmofo! i'm soooooo excitedface! what a great first post!

    i think that recreating my mom's tuna salad was kinda my gateway into veganism. even though i had been vegan for a few months, i had found myself kinda stuck with ideas on what to make and eat. my absolute fav from my childhood was tuna casserole and i missed it dearly. so i gathered up a bunch of courage and tried veganizing her recipe - and it was a stellar success! tasted just as i had rememebered it, and i was the most happyfaced ever! from that point on i knew that i would never run out of ideas for meals 'cause i knew i could veganize pretty much anything i had loved as an omni - it was a glorious day and things just keep get'n better & better! wheeeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tofu scrambles are one way that I can enjoy tofu - especially with hot peppers and roasted potatoes. Mmmm.

    To be honest, I was never the biggest meat fan before I went veg - any recipe that called for a pound of meat, we'd generally put 1/4 pound in. But I'd say what really got me into veg*n food was when I made black bean quesadillas - after having those, who needs meat and cheese (especially when it makes me stuffy).

    I'm going to live vicariously through VeganMoFo this year, as I am participating in a local eating challenge that might make daily food posts quite boring. I am looking forward to what everyone whips up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have a gateway to veganism, but I did have a gateway to vegetarianism! homemade seitan with cheese, made by my mother's friend. It was so tasty I realized maybe meat was not so necessary...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess we were both in a tofu scramble mood this week! They're the best aren't they?

    I'm not sure what my vegan gateway food was, but I know that cheezy sauces convinced me that I could be vegan and not miss cheese, which I really worried about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that tofu scramble looks so good, woman!

    I don't remember having a gateway to veganism. There must have been one... maybe Silk soy milk? I REALLY wanted to like it, but I wasn't sure if it would taste good. It did! That's a lame gateway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weird, the VWAV tofu scramble was my gateway too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks totally fantastic. I love the little pepper slices on the top. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yumm! I just discovered "cashew cheese" and am hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Tofu scramble!! Its so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could probably live on tofu scrambles. They are far too good everyway I've tried them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails