Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Marinated Baby Portabellas with Spinach


I had the chance to spend part of my Labor Day holiday playing in the kitchen after some inspiration from NPR on making marinades. (Note: the NPR story focuses on marinades for various meat recipes.) According to the story, the basic flavors in a good marinade include salty, sour, sweet, savory, spicy, and oil. It provides a template for experimentation, with examples of each flavor, as well as recommended proportions to get you started. Well, I was too tempted by the prospect of playing mad scientist in the kitchen not to work on my own special sauce.

I tried two marinades, one for baby portabellas and one for baked tofu. The tofu needs a little more work. It was tasty, but not exciting, and I refuse to post a half-lame tofu recipe because people give poor tofu a hard enough time as it is.

The mushrooms were another story! Complex, a little sweet, and tangy. They had us wiping the plates for the last drops of sauce. We enjoyed them warm poured over fresh baby spinach. Next time, I'll tinker with the proportions to decrease the Bragg Liquid Aminos and the vinegar, but below you have the recipe as sampled.

Marinated Baby Portabellas with Spinach
yields 1 1/4 cups marinade

Marinade:
1/2 cup Bragg Liquid Aminos
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 Tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

10 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, cut into quarters or sixths
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for skillet
baby spinach
red onion, thinly sliced

Whisk marinade ingredients and add mushrooms. Allow to marinate 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the mushrooms into the skillet and saute for about 10 minutes.

For each serving, plate baby spinach, warm mushrooms, and red onion slices. Add extra marinade to the salad as a dressing. Store leftover marinade in the refrigerator.

16 comments:

  1. that looks lovely, we don't get too many portabella mushrooms in England for some reason but if I see some I will definitely keep your marinade in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a delicious marinade! How great that you got to experiment in the kitchen on your day off. That's a great way to spend a holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long did you marinate the tofu? The trick is to let it soak up flavor for a long time, like overnight.

    Your mushrooms look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LISA!I love the look of your photo - magazine quality for sure. And who doesn't love a little NPR as kitchen inspiration. Your marinade sounds great. thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds SO GOOD! I love portabellas and spinach, a combo of the two sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love any marinade with hoisin sauce! That's my favorite condiment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, this is such a beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sounds delightful & super yummy, Lisa! i'm going to have to try your marinade!

    you're so right on the tofu. a lot of people do give it a hard time - makes me sadfaced 'cause i quite like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had so much fun munching mushrooms when I was on vacation - because I could get braggs! I can still pull off some marinades without it, but it's not the same for the fungi! Beautiful picture (as always!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look delicious!! I love portobellos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you brought up this topic! I could definitely use some marinade tips. The one you whipped up for the portabellas sounds wonderful; I'd like to do some mad scientist work on my own now to make some crazy good baked tofu. (And please post it if you find a fantastic marinade for the tofu also!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anna, it's so interesting to hear about differences in food choices in other parts of the world. Good luck with finding some 'bellas!

    Jennifer, it was definitely a good holiday!

    Trina, thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try this next time. I actually just pressed the tofu and then brushed on the marinade before baking, so your suggestion will probably make a big difference.

    Vegan Cowgirl, thanks so much!

    Sweet potato, don't they go great together?

    Bianca, I don't use it enough, so this was a great chance to!

    Mihl, thank you!

    Jessy, I know what you mean! Tofu can be delicious or bleck, depending on how you cook it.

    Shellyfish, I just starting using Braggs recently, but we really enjoyed it in this.

    Thanks Carrie!

    Ruby Red Vegan, the experimenting was really fun. Geeky, I know, but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm ashamed to admit, I have never tried portabellas. I have a love/hate relationship with 'shrooms. there, I've said it. but if I am to ever try them, I'll definitely give your recipe a go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like a fantastic marinade recipe! I'll make sure to pick up some hoisin sauce next time I'm out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a little (!) late, but fyi--portabella mushrooms are simply called 'breakfast' mushrooms in England.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In our dialect this recipe is ADOBONG mushroom! Very yummy indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails