Thursday, October 9, 2008

VeganMoFo: Guacamole


A graduate school classmate from Mexico taught me to make this guacamole some years ago, and I've made it her way ever since. Guacamole might seem mundane. You can buy it in plastic tubs at most any grocery store. But when party guests time and again exclaim, "My God, this is the best guacamole I've ever eaten!" who can resist making it for them every time?

Now, I'm not one for a lot of kitchen gadgets or limited-use kitchen tools. However, I do like to use certain tools to make guac.





I use a knife, handheld masher, lime juicer, and spoon. Yes, it is possible to juice limes without this green gadget, but after trying it I couldn't go back. You can't beat this tool for squeezing more juice than you'd imagine from a lime quickly and efficiently. We discovered it when making a humongous batch of margaritas for our Supper Club, involving the juice from about 50 limes. (We take our drinks seriously in Supper Club.)

Anyway, I also use a handheld masher for a roughly smashed guacamole texture. The ingredient proportions below aren't precise, but I always use the following components. Give it a try for your next party if you aren't shy about getting compliments!

Oh, one last tip. If you need to make the guacamole in advance, you can retain its bright color by covering the top with plastic wrap that is pressed directly onto the surface of the dip. I hear that avocado-pit-pressed-in-the-middle trick doesn't really do much to retain color.

Guacamole
1 tiny onion, diced
1 medium tomato, diced
1 jalapeno, minced (veins and seeds discarded)
1 small handful cilantro, chopped
juice from 1/2 lime
a dash of garlic powder
hot sauce, about 4 shakes
salt to taste
3 large avocados

Put onion through salt in a medium bowl. Slice each avocado through the middle, rotating around the pit until your knife circles the avocado completely. Check Simply Recipes if I'm not making sense. Once you have the avocado halved, pop out the pit with your knife and scoop the avocado out of the peel with a spoon into the bowl. Mash all ingredients with the handheld masher until the texture meets your satisfaction.

22 comments:

  1. Ok, can I become a member of this Supper Club?!?

    This is nearly identical to the guac I make, and it's so fantastical! I just love it...don't make it very often because of the trip avocados take to get to me, but oh how I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can buy guacamole??? Not where I live. And I wouldn't buy it. I imagine that with a food like this, homemade is always better.Especially not if I could have yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a Supper Club. Damn Brett and I for being so shy, if there wasn't something like that around here we could start one! I love tomatoes in guacamole! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome - and I've never seen a lime juicer before! Thanks for the tip about how to keep it's color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i second that.....supper club...count me in...
    there was this place called Frank's Supper Club near where i used to live, turned out to be an abandoned restaurant.....but i always had the desire to join :)
    the guac looks badass....

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks delicious! guacamole is NEVER mundane if you do it right....and the stuff in tubs has got nothin' on the homemade. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful dish to wake up to! Thank you! The colors are so vibrant I can taste this through the monitor. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your guacamole looks delicious! There's no comparing freshly made to store bought. It's great how you detail your method and tools used. Muchas gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! That is the best looking guacamole I have ever seen. Never to the tubs in Whole Foods again, I am making this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of using the handheld masher to make the guac. I've never done that before, but I will next time guac is on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How funny! I learned how to make guac in grad school as well!

    Yours looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing is mundane about Guacamole - it is the best food EVER!!
    I could eat it morning, noon and night - heck I could even brush my teeth with the stuff - though admittedly that would be silly but you get what I mean.
    Yours looks simply GORGEOUS!!
    And now I am hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmmmmmm, mmmmmmmmmm! that's some mighty awesome look'n guacamole! i could devour that in seconds.

    i love the addition of hot sauce - totally gonna have to try that! thanks, Lisa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a vibrant, beautifully plated guacamole!! Everything you make looks so pro! Seriously, you should open a vegan restaurant!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't live without my juicer tool either!! And I think that store bought guac in a tube is kinda gross. Yours looks so good it makes me want dig in with a tortilla chip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing beats the taste of homemade guac. I'll have to remember this recipe for next time.

    I wanna know more about your Supper Club though...that sounds really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks everyone! Homemade guac really is better than the store bought.
    And we do love our supper club. I wish you all could join! You might have to move to my street though. We all live within 3 blocks of each other.
    River, we should open a vegan restaurant together - once the economy improves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like one kick ass club. Homemade Guac takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I say gimme a spoon & I'll take care of that guac! Seriously, the stuff at the store is not even decent most of the time. Homemade rules!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i don't like avocado and guacamole... :( but i LOVE making it!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. guac looks just fabulous! it is thee most important part of the mexi-meal!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails