Monday, September 15, 2008

Curried Black-Eyed Pea Soup


With a rainy, windy day on Sunday, soup seemed just right. This is an easy soup to make, featuring a late summer habanero from a friend's garden, black-eyed peas, and some leftover coconut milk from the Five Spice Powder Curry recipe. This spicy soup will warm a body up any chilly day. MD said he'd rate it a "Medium" on a heat scale, and didn't even add Sriracha. No Sriracha? Now that's a compliment.

Curried Black-Eyed Pea Soup
Adapted from Epicurious

1 1/4 cups dried black-eyed peas
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 habanero pepper, minced
1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
5 cups vegetable broth
1 cup coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped

Quick soak the black-eyed peas: Pick out any pebbles and rinse them in a strainer. Put them in large pot and cover with water, about 2 inches above the peas. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cover with a lid. Let sit for 1 hour. Drain and rinse.

Heat the oil in the large pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and celery for about 4 minutes, until they begin to soften. Add garlic, habanero, fenugreek, curry, and cumin. Saute for about 1 minute. Add broth, coconut milk, and black-eyed peas. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 25 minutes, until peas are done. Salt and pepper to taste. Puree some of the soup with an immersion blender until the texture you desire. Stir in cilantro.

13 comments:

  1. What a lovely picture!

    Mmmm... hot soup on a rainy day. It doesn't get much better than that! I LOVE rainy days (as long as I get to stay home)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! MD and I would get along quite well. Brett rolls his eyes at my incessant sriracha use. I have a very weak spot for the hot sauce with the rooster on the front. :-)

    I could have really used some of this soup yesterday! Thanks for the recipe, we might have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking it was about time for soup. This recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh - dan does that, too - he puts sriracha on everything! pizza, mac 'n cheeze, burritos, sammies, etc.! that's awesome that MD enjoyed it sans sriracha! :)

    this soup look wonderful, Lisa! i'm gonna have to make this when the weather gets cooler! mmmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. This soup sounds delicious and looks heaveny. I love black-eyed peas. Thanks for sharing. I am going to have to make it.

    Krys

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh soup. Yes, please. The temperatures have been really low compared to what I was used to, I am sure this soup will warm me up again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's a nice twist on a black-eyed pea soup! I'm always overwhelmed with black eyed and purple hulled peas this time of year and get tired of eating the same way — with collard greens. Coconut milk sounds like it would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks delish! and kudos for making something with black-eyed peas!! they are so underused, except for in the south! it's a shame, really...

    ReplyDelete
  9. River, I'm not a fan of rainy days, but they are a good excuse to hang out in the kitchen cooking!

    Jennifer, we need to stock up soon on sriracha, we're getting dangerously low, oh no!

    Trina, I'm hanging on to summer as much as possible, but I caved to soup last weekend with such a gray day!

    Jessy, sriracha on mac and cheeze sounds perfect! Dan has good taste.

    Thanks Krys!

    Mihl, it has been strangely mild (temp-wise) here also. I think our hot days might actually be gone.

    Bianca, I grew up on black eyed peas in SC, so I love them, but this was a nice change of pace!

    Thanks Laura! I really need to cook with them more. We loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm Shangri-La is the best in st. louis i think! i have tried the slinger there, but never actually had a whole one...from what i remember, it was way bigger than the one i had at cafe berlin, and the one i ate was no small potatoes! where else do you like to go in st.louis for good vegan food? i have been to saleem's, but that's about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura, i don't know of any completely vegan restaurants, but if you are ok with picking and choosing on the menu, I like Everest, Terrene, El Scorcho, and Burrito Loco. Plus I just found out that Boogaloo has a vegan "sloppy joe" type sandwich. We ate at Everest last weekend and loved everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was almost sad to see the beautiful days go, but the idea of getting to eat lots of soups like this one here makes me feel a touch better about the winter thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful recipe! The soup turned out perfect per the recipe. I did add some kale to a batch after pureeing, also turned out very nice. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails