Monday, September 1, 2008

Creamy Avocado Dressing


This creamy, tart dressing made everything taste better yesterday. First, we snacked on it drizzled across juicy, yellow tomatoes. Later, it made a great dip for Spudmaster chips. But I got really excited about it when we topped some quick vegan nachos with it. This dressing took our nachos to a whole new level and they were the best nachos I've had. In fact, a little batch of this might accompany me the next time we eat at Hacienda Restaurant, that is, until they decide to offer a vegan avocado dressing.


Creamy Avocado Dressing
Adapted from Mexican Everyday

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
juice from 1 lime
1 large clove garlic, cut into 2-3 pieces
1/2 jalapeno pepper, de-veined, seeded, and cut into 2-3 pieces
1/2 cup Vegenaise
1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 avocado
salt to taste
1 Tablespoon water

Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Check for seasoning. If you want a thinner consistency, add a little more water. Store in the refrigerator.

11 comments:

  1. Great dip! I love anything with avocado. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that's just what I needed! Sometimes I'm not in the mood for a nutritional yeast/cheez sauce, but this would be great with any Mexican meal, like burritos, enchiladas, etc. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious -- that dressing does sound wonderful! It's so funny that you mention Hacienda. If anything, that is my childhood restaurant. My family went there so often that my grandma is still famous there with the longtime staff. I went there recently since becoming a vegan and was so surprised they had options for me. What do you usually get when you go?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Trina!

    Vegan Cowgirl, me too. I love the creaminess of avocados.

    Destiny, I know what you mean! It's nice to have the versatility of something different.

    Ruby Red Vegan, Hacienda has changed a lot over the years, but we still LOVE the margaritas and as you know they do have vegan options. I usually order the nachos, hold the cheese, and with salsa for the dressing. How about you? I miss their avocado dressing, so I was really happy to find this vegan version! Have you tried Everest yet? We did a couple of weeks ago and will definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had spinach enchiladas, hold the cheese, and it came with sides of spanish rice and some sort of beans (I don't remember what kind). I also got a side of steamed vegetables.

    I still haven't tried Everest -- I am so broke right now and I don't have my Metro pass yet. I really want to try it though and am excited that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The avocado dressing sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Avocado...my favorite thing in the world. I'm sure this tastes delicious as a topping on many things, but to be honest, I would probably end up drinking it straight out of the bowl! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, those nachos with the avocado dressing sound too good to be true! Thanks for the recipe. I'm gonna give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruby Red Vegan, the spinach enchiladas sound good too. I'll keep them in mind.

    Thanks two vegan boys!

    Voracious Vegan, I find that I'm buying avocados every week, a favorite in my kitchen too.

    Thanks Jennifer!

    Bianca, hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails